• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You know your a coin nerd or nerdette when you...

53 posts in this topic

I only carry 2-3 empty flips in my wallet, so it does not add significant bulk.

Gives a new meaning to the idea of having protection in your wallet.

I was wondering who would pick up on that!!

...when you think of a coin you could have bought with the money you just spent on something more practical like a new lawnmower, washer, frig, etc.

...when you think of a coin you could have bought with the money you just spent on something more practical like a new lawnmower, washer, frig, etc.

Even worse, when its the other way around!! lol

..when you think of a coin you could have bought with the money you just spent on something more practical like a new lawnmower, washer, frig, etc.

What do you mean more practical?

Was quoted $90 for a repair on my $300 push mower and opted to fix it myself with the aid of youtube.

Even though I should really buy a riding mower I keep procrastinating as...

A.) I can use the exercise.

B.) That's easily 3-4 tokens.

... are the only one at work who can answer general coin questions.

E.g.:

"I wonder where this coin I found is from."

It's a German 2 mark coin.

"How can you tell?"

Because it says 'Bundesrepublik Deutschland' and 2 Deutsche mark on it.

[blank look]

'Deutschland' means 'Germany.' It's copper-nickel and not worth much.

[blank look]

"Check out this foreign gold coin I got from the post office!"

It's neither foreign nor gold.

"How do you know?"

It's a US Sacagawea dollar coin.

[blank look]

The Mint has been striking these for years.

"How can you be sure it's not gold?"

The date on it is 2001, and the US hasn't struck gold dollar coins since the 1880s. On second thought, though, maybe it is foreign. It could have come back from Equador! [chuckle to yourself]

[Odd look from your coworker as he backs away from you]

..when you think of a coin you could have bought with the money you just spent on something more practical like a new lawnmower, washer, frig, etc.

What do you mean more practical?

Poor word choice on my part. Maybe "essential" would have been better. If my mower breaks, I'll be buying a new one instead of a coin I might want.

I'm not sure ESSENTIAL is a good word either. That's what neighbors are for. Your mower breaks, borrow theirs. After all there might be something good comeing up in the next auction and you don't want to deplete your reserves. :)

Can you tell that there is a good chance I'm a coin nerd? :)

Who needs a lawn mower anyway? My idea of a perfect yard is a concrete slab that SOMEONE ELSE painted green.

As for being a "coin nerd", I took my new wife to a coin show the day after we got married.

What's that? You mean that some people don't honeymoon in Long Beach! ;)

Who needs a lawn mower anyway? My idea of a perfect yard is a concrete slab that SOMEONE ELSE painted green.

Right there with you, but my green concrete would be heated so there's no need for snow removal! ;):D

Why remove the snow from the concrete YARD? Just heat the driveway.

Who needs a lawn mower anyway?

Agreed. Personally I think the farmers have the right idea on how to handle grass.....Roundup.

As for being a "coin nerd", I took my new wife to a coin show the day after we got married.

What's that? You mean that some people don't honeymoon in Long Beach! ;)

The one unfortunate aspect of living in Cape Coral, FL is that some of the city codes are so ridiculous. You are required to have a grass lawn!

The problem with grass is that during the rainy season, if it isn't cut every week, it will be a foot or more high.

On previous occasions, new homeowners in the city sought to overcome this by laying astroturf on the yard - NOTICE OF CODE VIOLATION!

Other homeowners thought they could get away with removing all of the grass and spreading a few truckloads of stone - NOTICE OF CODE VIOLATION!

One retired gent was too old to be able to mow his lawn, and his income from Social Security wasn't enough for him to afford $75 a month for a lawn service. He was, however, able to scrape up enough money to have a fence built around his property and buy a dozen goats to "manage" his lawn - NOTICE OF CODE VIOLATION!

It's okay to have a pack of noisy dogs, barking at all hours of the night, but goats are a farm animal and this is residential property. Why can't someone do a little cross-breeding and create a dogoat?

Chris

Was quoted $90 for a repair on my $300 push mower and opted to fix it myself with the aid of youtube.

Even though I should really buy a riding mower I keep procrastinating as...

A.) I can use the exercise.

B.) That's easily 3-4 tokens.

Go to a few garage/barn/estate sales and your likely to come across a good used riding mower for a bargain.. that way you could buy 1-2 tokens and still get your grass mowed!

I'm not sure ESSENTIAL is a good word either. That's what neighbors are for. Your mower breaks, borrow theirs. After all there might be something good comeing up in the next auction and you don't want to deplete your reserves. :)

So are you changing your name to "Conerd101"?

I hope you meant coinerd. I know a few con nerds and I don't believe he is one.

I hope you meant coinerd. I know a few con nerds and I don't believe he is one.

I meant "Coinerd101". Between being all thumbs and getting old, I left out the "i". I didn't mean to imply any disrespect with my initial reply.

I was just on my patio sharing my newps with everyone via Google Earth :)

That is the one drawback to living in South Florida. If you take your coins out to the lanai, the humidity would take to them like water to a sponge.

Chris

..... when i bump into people at work walking back from the breakroom because I am trying to read the dates on the coins from the vending machine. Trying to find the elusive 1982 no P dime.