• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1806 Draped Bust Half Dollar Pattern Coin (e-Bay)

9 posts in this topic

Since this is already sold I do not consider it spamming, nor do I have anything to do with this listing, but was intrigued by the reeded edge. I cannot say that this coin is not genuine, after all it may very well might be a pattern coin, but my question is this, what coin and in what year received the first reeded edge?

Item Listing

Someone, maybe with more knowledge on pattern coins, bought this for $560

Looks like "nice" Chinese import to me. The crook who cut the dies got it wrong and put an reeded edge on it where lettering should be. Hence it has become a "pattern."

One more piece of Chinese junk to bedevil collectors. :mad:

Check his current listings here Almost every coin looks to be counterfeit.

Please report it here

Thanks.

Edited to add: I see that Ebay has already removed several of them.

I've been in touch with the seller and he said he listed the items under replicas. So he was surprised that some of the listings had been removed and asked me why. I told him my best guess was because the listing titles made no reference to replicas.

Most all the coins he has listed now are labeled as replica, but they are not marked as eBay requires. The 1819 cent is a fake and not listed as a replica in the title but is in the description. Same for the 32-S quarter. The 1837 half dime and dime are not marked and the description doesn't say replica. Unfortunately the pictures are too bad to be able to tell if they are fakes.

i suspect most of the non-coin items he is selling are also reproductions.