• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any hope for this fingerprint? - 1950 Cameo Proof Lincoln

3 posts in this topic

It looks like someone already tried to conserve the coin. That fingerprint is etched and irremovable at this point IMO.

You can post it in the ASK NCS section...but they will tell you that fingerprints are complicated and they would have to see the coin in person. I think you'd be better served by selling it and buying a replacement. Last I checked these only sell for about $50-75.

I couldn't answer any better than NCS's CHRISS:

Fingerprints can be problematic to remove. The oils that make up fingerprints can etch into the surface metal with time and particular environmental conditions. Fresh fingerprints can be completely removed but older fingerprints can often times only be lightened in their severity with steps taken to prevent their worsening over time.

It is likely that this fingerprint has been on the surface of this coin for quite some time. Conservation would not be able to remove the evidence of the fingerprint.

I have to agree, it appears that someone already tried to conserve it, and that's what made the mirrors "soft".