• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Treasures of Australia - NGC will no longer grade

5 posts in this topic

World Coin related:

I have been sending in the Treasures of Australia Silver coins series for 3 years now and have years 2007-2010 graded w/o any issues in the fat NGC holder. Last month on April 5th, I sent in the final 2011 series coin to be graded. Coin was received on 4/8 w/ 9 other misc coins and went directly to "Quality Control". Flash forward to today, the other 9 coins were shipped with grades and the 10th coin was shipped with no comments what so ever.

So I called NGC and they said thay they're no longer grading the Treasures of Australia series (even though the web site says NOTHING to this effect) and that no one notified me of such. So I now have a incomplete series and I have to wait to see if the Treasures Coin remains in the capsule untouched or was bagged. NGC assures me it was not bagged - but seeing is beliving at this point.

I'm disappointed NGC did not communicate the change in policy with the members, update the webpage "Coins We Grade" or notice that this communication did not occur and give me an opprotunity to pull the coin back. I did receive a monetary credit - but did not know about said credit (or the one I have from Nov. '10) until I called.

on the other hand I did get some good news back on the other 9:

001 2011P AUSTRALIA YEAR OF THE RABBIT S$1 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

002 2011 AUSTRALIA YEAR OF THE RABBIT S$1 PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO

003 2010 AUSTRALIA KANGAROO S$1 PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO

004 2010 AUSTRALIA KANGAROO S$1 PF 66 ULTRA CAMEO

005 1987S CHINA PANDA G5Y MS 66

006 1987 CHINA PANDA TOKYO COIN SHOW 1/20OZ PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO

007 1988SM SINGAPORE DRAGON X-MB37 G5S MS 69

008 2002 IS.OF MAN BENGAL CAT & KITTEN G1/10C MS 68

009 2010 CANADA EUOPLOCEPHALUS FOSSIL S$4 PF 68 ULTRA CAMEO

So I called NGC and they said thay they're no longer grading the Treasures of Australia series (even though the web site says NOTHING to this effect) and that no one notified me of such.

I'd guess it has something to do with the plastic capsule inside the coin. Perhaps the sonic sealer cracks or loosens them?

I did receive a monetary credit - but did not know about said credit (or the one I have from Nov. '10) until I called.

Did they refund your credit card of just note your account at NGC with the credit? I just noticed that they only charge a $5 processing fee on coins they don't grade due to Illegible Type. I cannot ever recall getting a refund for this.

So I called NGC and they said thay they're no longer grading the Treasures of Australia series (even though the web site says NOTHING to this effect) and that no one notified me of such.

I'd guess it has something to do with the plastic capsule inside the coin. Perhaps the sonic sealer cracks or loosens them?

I did receive a monetary credit - but did not know about said credit (or the one I have from Nov. '10) until I called.

Did they refund your credit card of just note your account at NGC with the credit? I just noticed that they only charge a $5 processing fee on coins they don't grade due to Illegible Type. I cannot ever recall getting a refund for this.

They said some of the capsules were damaged and this caused them to discontinue the grading of the coins (silver/gold). Looking at my four, I must have been lucky. I have the complete set up to this point and now will have 5th and final in the series ungraded.

The credit was for $12 and change, I really didn't pay much attention to the credit number as I was still getting over the no grade.

Even though I agree it would have bene preferable to provide such notification, you should consider that the list of eligible coins is or may not be complete. I have not checked the list lately but I have sent in some medals in the past that were not listed that were graded.

Even though I agree it would have bene preferable to provide such notification, you should consider that the list of eligible coins is or may not be complete. I have not checked the list lately but I have sent in some medals in the past that were not listed that were graded.

Point take if I didn't already have the other four coins of the series, all purchased raw and submitted to NGC by me over a 3 year period w/o issue. It would have been prudent to disseminate this policy change when the coin arrvied as I'm sure they're not being inundated with Treasures of Australia coins since the change.