• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just some fun Washingtons.

8 posts in this topic

Given how space memorabilia is sucking down my cash these days (along those lines, I just found out this weekend that two of my "Soviet" era autograph purchases, luckily relatively inexpensive, are most likely counterfeits :censored: ), I've become much more focused on what coins I'm purchasing. For pricier coins I'm trying to put together an 1858 business strike (essentially no gold) set, an 1893 proof cameo set (no gold), and upgrading my toner Franklin set. This is a focused enough group that in TOTAL I might buy 1 to 2 coins a year for those sets combined.

For just basic coin collecting fun I've been buying both raw and slabbed 1940 - 64 toned Washingtons in MS65-6 with a few MS67's thrown in. They're a decent design, they're a decent size,, and they allow me to use my Franklin derived knowledge of business strike characteristics of the 1948 - 63 period. Finally, given the dates and grades I'm collecting, they're relatively inexpensive. So, here are some fun Washies that I've bought in the last year. Shane Canup imaged the 1948-S and '54-S, and Bob Campbell imaged the 1944. They both did excellent jobs. FWIW I'm saving what IMO are my better looking Washies for later postings.

NGC MS66

1944WAobv39sm.jpg

1944WArev47sm.jpg

RAW

sc1948SWA.jpg

sc1948SWArev.jpg

NGC MS66

1950WAob.jpg

1950WArev.jpg

NGC MS66

54SN66.jpg

54SN66Rev.jpg

I really enjoy WQs and think they are a terrific series to buy a few coins in every now and then. The pieces you have shared are very nice, too.

Thanks guys!

Welcome to the Club! Are you only hunting down toners or will white ones work also?

Yeah, that old coin collecting Jones has kicked in. As to whities, I'll get the occasional raw white one too as I think they look attractive that way, but for my Registry set they're all toners.

Thanks guys!

Welcome to the Club! Are you only hunting down toners or will white ones work also?

Yeah, that old coin collecting Jones has kicked in. As to whities, I'll get the occasional raw white one too as I think they look attractive that way, but for my Registry set they're all toners.

If you wish to put together a nice white set for an album I am sure many around here could help you hunt down coins. I am a Washington nut.. what do I know?