• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not sure whats going on with my proof coins

4 posts in this topic

I've been looking thru my coins.. I like to check'm out from time to time. I've noticed some of my proof coins are getting a bit of a white cloudy haze on the finish.. any clue why? some are in plastic and some in graded holders. They are not exposed to any moisture that I'm aware of.. Also.. I'm getting black spots on some of my untouched pennies..

Has to do with the holders and the temperatures they are stored in, or where they were stored in previous to you owning them. It's natural and sometimes, it's a nice surprise. Other times, it's just ugly.

What the dates of your Proof set?

If they recent (within the last couple of years) You could one of those unluck piece who a set with mint rinse residue on the coins. This can result in toning and spotting.

You need to make sure that the place you are storing your sets has a constant temperature. Going up and down between hot and cold can result in moisture condensating in the plastic set holders which promotes spotting.

One thing that I learned to avoid is storing Proof sets in a place like a closet that faces an outside wall. In the cooler climates the temperatures on those small rooms goes up and down with time of day, which can cause spotting.

Wow.. I have them stored in a closet with an outside wall... I never thought about that. Most of the sets affected seem to be from the 60's to date. I'll take your advice and move them. Thanks.. sad thing is I guess now they are pretty much ..