• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submitting a coin

2 posts in this topic

I have a 1913 2 1/2 Dollar Indian Head Gold that has been in a plastic holder for about 40 yrs. It has only been opened once (2 days ago). It will open using your fingernail and splitting the pieces apart, if I decide to see if it needs conserving before grading would it be best to leave in present holder to assist evaluation? I am assuming seeing the holder might assist in determining conservation remedies. Also I have not a glue in determining propper grade for coin, how does one place a value on something that is determined by the final grade? Ranges from $1000-$30000. Any answers would be welcome, thanks

While not necessary, information about the past of a coin can be helpful when conserving it. Including notes or original holders with a submission is not a bad idea. Keep in mind, however, you may not have original holders returned to you if you submit them to us.

When determining an insurance value, use a figure that you would reasonably expect to have to pay should the coin be lost in the mail. This is not only the value you would use when completing your submission form but also the value you would use when insuring the package for shipment.

Chris, NCS