• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I being too critical?

23 posts in this topic

I doubt many sellers on ebay use cotton gloves when taking pics of raw copper coins that are loose.

Besides, his hands look dry and chaffed. :grin:

Yeah I just noticed how dry his hands are! lol

I'm not looking for gloves, but handeling it properly by the edges would be nice.

Well, yeah, I guess, when I think about it, I mean, when I really think it over, I suppose, sure, of course, I would like a coin that was never handled with fingers. :grin:

Many, many old copper guys actually believe it is beneficial to handle brown copper. They claim that it helps develop the patina on such a coin, which protects it from the environment.

Since the token looks to have been cleaned, I don't think he'll do much damage to it. Maybe it's the white balance, but that color is not natural.

When someone handles a coin in this manner(especially one trying to sell the item), it shows how uneducated they are with the aspect of numismatics and therefore would not garner the respect of the community. If a seller has no knowledge of the basics, then neither should one believe they retain the ability to make substantive statements regarding their holdings. I would leave this seller's auction items alone.

Jim

Those are some nasty fingers but I wouldn't be too concerned given the coin. It's not uncirculated IMO. If it was, then I'd think twice.

Worst case cenario, you could use acetone after receiving it?

edited to add....But then again, if he doesn't know how to hold it, he may not know how to ship it.

When someone handles a coin in this manner(especially one trying to sell the item), it shows how uneducated they are with the aspect of numismatics and therefore would not garner the respect of the community. If a seller has no knowledge of the basics, then neither should one believe they retain the ability to make substantive statements regarding their holdings. I would leave this seller's auction items alone.

Jim

I would have to agree with the above statement.

-Chris#2

There is a well known EAC dealer who grabs raw coppers with all fingers over all parts. I have purchased two raw coppers from him © that I immediately took home and used acetone (V) and xylol to insure that his grubby oils were removed asap (M). Now they are in TPG holders, and so far, no prints have come out over time. One of them was in a sealed PVC flip from the Holmes collection and had not been removed since the auction, where he bid and won it. He cut it open, grabbed it between his thumb and several fingers and they were not on the edges, and handed it to me by dropping it in my palm!!! So I cringe when I see these kinds of images on ebay, but then hey, if one of the most prominent EAC dealers can do it, can't we all? (shrug)

There is a well known EAC dealer who grabs raw coppers with all fingers over all parts. I have purchased two raw coppers from him © that I immediately took home and used acetone (V) and xylol to insure that his grubby oils were removed asap (M). Now they are in TPG holders, and so far, no prints have come out over time. One of them was in a sealed PVC flip from the Holmes collection and had not been removed since the auction, where he bid and won it. He cut it open, grabbed it between his thumb and several fingers and they were not on the edges, and handed it to me by dropping it in my palm!!! So I cringe when I see these kinds of images on ebay, but then hey, if one of the most prominent EAC dealers can do it, can't we all? (shrug)

I bet he is a lot more careful with original red large cents.

As I wouldn't bid on this based on the sellers pics, as I don't want finger oils on my copper.

Not that I need it anyway, but whenever I see a coin that's not being properly handled I move rapidly move on...

I don't think you're being overly critical. I pass on coins when I see them mishandled by the seller too. Often, the fingerprints are almost undetectable at first, but blacken as time progresses.