• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint Site is down posted by walnutto

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Too many orders for the 5 oz Hot Springs silver coin

I got thru to the US Mint site at 10 mins after the official selling time today for the 5 oz Silver "P" Hot Springs coin.

1. 2010 ATB SILVER COIN - HOT SPRINGS (NP1)

Not 100% sure if I will get one yet but I am pretty sure since I just tried to log back into the US Mint site, They took down the catalog section.... or it crashed.

I feel lucky to order one now.

Good luck to everyone else that is still trying!

Keith

See more journals by walnutto

"Mint Site is Down" that subject could start any number of rants about the horrible customer service, product, and marketing existing at the mint today. The Mint is a perfect example of what happens when you let government run anything that demands even a modicum of business management skill.

Good for you Keith, I hope you snuck through and sniped one. We collectors need a Win once in awhile.

I too got through at about 12:01, had it in the checkout then keeped get bumped off. Logged back on at about 6:00pm and finished with the checkout. I feel confident about getting one. Hope were one of the 27,000. I wonder what they are going to sell on E-bay?

Of course the site is down. They did it intentionally to keep the orders from being placed. Silver is now at $48.50!

Chris

If you don't get one, or want to see what they are selling for Teletrade has purchased a bulk order and I noticed quite a few others in the May 8th auction.

Later------Rick

"Mint Site is Down" that subject could start any number of rants about the horrible customer service, product, and marketing existing at the mint today. The Mint is a perfect example of what happens when you let government run anything that demands even a modicum of business management skill.

Good for you Keith, I hope you snuck through and sniped one. We collectors need a Win once in awhile.

This is just not a "government" problem but also a "privite sector" issue too. It happens to web sites all the time that fail to realize when demand greatly out strips the sites ability to handle the traffic.

The US Mint does state on their website the issues they have when high demand hits but the fix is not projected till 2012.

The US Mint does state on their website the issues they have when high demand hits but the fix is not projected till 2012.

The US Mint website was built for them by RR Donnelly, the previous fulfillment contractor. When completed, it was handed over to the U.S. Mint for them to run. However, without the expertise, the website was run by Donnelly until they were terminated for cause.

Pitney Bowes Government Services (PBGS) was brought in after a limited procurement process. PBGS has 120 days to transition from RR Donnelly. However, after losing a protest RR Donnelly walked off the job after 90 days. Unfortunately, work that was going on at that time to replace the website had to be discontinued until PBGS became established.

I lost the link, but a procurement request was sent by Treasury (not the U.S. Mint) to rebuild the U.S. Mint technical infrastructure. Then there was internal turmoil at the Mint and several key technical people resigned. I do not know if the resignations came after the RFPs were due or before, but there was an award and the people who was supposed to provide technical oversight were gone.

Without going into non-published information, a contractor was selected and they are in the process of rebuilding the U.S. Mint infrastructure. The goal is to be able to change a number of things and have a new public website ready for FY12. I give them a year (April-May 2012) to introduce a new website.

The U.S. Mint is behind the times, but they are allegedly working on it!

Scott