• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1859 Indian Cent! Grade?

17 posts in this topic

oh, and this already in a pcgs slab, so it's not details. So, in a way there's two grades to be given here. 1. grade w/ spot 2. grade after NCS

Here's my most recent purchase. Your thoughts on a grade? Do you think NCS could take care of that spot on the neck?
I don't think there's any way to remove it, if that's what you're asking. I could be wrong. On that grade, it's a technical MS-64, if there ever was one. That's, of course, though, without regard to those spots, which do throw off one's eye movement through the coin. For that reason, I'll guess they'll market grade it, MS-63, as well.

RESULTS:

This coin is currenly in a PCGS MS63 Holder. When it arrives, I'm sending it to NCS for conservation. I think if they can take care of the spots, it would easily get into a 64 slab

RESULTS:

This coin is currenly in a PCGS MS63 Holder. When it arrives, I'm sending it to NCS for conservation. I think if they can take care of the spots, it would easily get into a 64 slab

That all depends on whether those spots were there when it graded 63. From the small photos, there is a fair amount of chatter in the obverse fields. That more than the spots might of held it back to a 63.

I'm not real comfortable with the color on that copper-nickel cent. It looks "too white" to me. Usually original examples of these coins have some coppery toning. This one may have been dipped some time ago, which might have something to do with the spots. When you strip off the pertective "skin" sometimes you get spots on the exposed metal.

Here are the two pieces from my collection. They are both NGC MS-64 graded coins.

1859CentO.jpg1859CentR.jpg

1860CentO.jpg1860CentR.jpg

oh, and this already in a pcgs slab, so it's not details. So, in a way there's two grades to be given here. 1. grade w/ spot 2. grade after NCS

I don't think your coin would receive a details grade, but the fact that it is in a PCGS/NGC slab doesn't mean that it hasn't been tampered with. Everyone makes mistakes.

I would grade your coin as MS63. What did PCGS grade this piece?

I don't think your coin would receive a details grade, but the fact that it is in a PCGS/NGC slab doesn't mean that it hasn't been tampered with. Everyone makes mistakes.

I would grade your coin as MS63. What did PCGS grade this piece?

PCGS graded the coin MS63. I was wondering if NCS could remove that spot on the neck, that it might go MS64

PCGS graded the coin MS63. I was wondering if NCS could remove that spot on the neck, that it might go MS64

NCS can probably remove the spot(s), I see more than one, but I'd be concerned about what would be left behind after they are gone. The coin might or might not grade after that, and even if it does it might not be MS-64. Youd do have a fair number of contact marks in the fields.