• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wheel marks

10 posts in this topic

How much do wheel marks affect a coins value? I have recently recieved details grading on some nicley toned coins for wheel marks and was wondering if you toned collectors over look something like wheel marks or if you feel it negatively effects the coin. thanks

It usually depends upon the location of the wheel mark, as well as how severe and distracting it is. I think it is fair to say that in many cases, a wheel mark can significantly diminish the "value" of a coin.

In general, I find that collectors abhor counting machine wheel marks on most coins. You know it's there, it was damaged post mint, it's not going to go away, when presenting a coin with that anomaly you'll automatically say, "This one has a wheel mark" then grumble that the coin was destroyed.

I'd say yes, it impacts a coin greatly, toned or not.

Wheel marks, or counting marks, must always be considered a negative, with potential impact on grade being anywhere from one point to ten points, or even more. The relative amount of surface area affected on a large coin (silver dollar or half-dollar) can be only a tiny fraction of the total surface, resulting in a minimal reduction (like one point), but wheel marks on a dime or cent could easily take a gem down to a net AU value, or even less.

pcgs and i think ngc will not grade or net grade with a then numerical grade on the holder counterwheel marked coins especially so silver dollars

they usually bodybag/details grade/genuine grade holder them

nk1nk------A few years ago I had a large grouping of MS Walkers that were graded at NGC. Back came just one 1945 coin bodybagged for wheelmarks.

After much effort, and some in hand help from Mark Feld, I found out that you really need a "halogen" lamp to see wheelmarks on the coins. And, yes indeed, they do affect the value of the coins. That 1945 Walker was in a grouping that "ALL" graded MS65 and MS66. In a body bag, the coin isn't worth a lot.

I then sent that Walker to PCGS and they sent it back in a BB too. Then ANACS saw it----and gave it back to me in a details MS60 slab.

I figured that, after the whole process----and three grading services----total cost to me was about a hundred bucks. But, I did it as a "learning" process----and made a post about it here on the NGC forum. I think all of us here learned a bit from that 1945 Walker. Take care and buy a cheap halogen lamp----and then see the wheelmarks very clearly. Bob [supertooth]

Post mint damage = not good. I see a lot of that in the 7-11 parking lot, too.