• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CICF - first impressions and NEWPs

4 posts in this topic

Wanted to share my first experience with a large world coin show and show-off some new purchases for your viewing pleasures.

Part 1:

After a sleepless night of canceled and delayed flights, I finally made it to Chicago in time for the opening. This is my first Darkside show and it didn't disappoint. It was great to see Josh (Civitas) again and finally make Andy Lustig's (MrEureka) acquaintance, as well as meet folks from NEN in-person.

I brought a few odds and ends to get rid of (1913 Rouble, 1809 Mexico Real in MS62, Chilean Copiapo Peso, etc...) and ended-up selling most of them for a very reasonable price. I also wanted to sell a nice PCGS XF40 1811 Guadeloupe 20 sous, but after being brutally lowballed by a couple of dealers I ended-up consigning the piece to Northeast Numismatics instead.

Two new acquaintances that I'm very excited about are Jorge Ortiz from Puerto Rico and Mike Dunigan. Jorge is a collector of War of Independence coinage, selling off some duplicates and odds and ends. I've picked-up a gorgeous Vargas 8 Reales from him and talked at length about coins of that period. He had a nice 1813 Guadalajara (with 1812 square-and-flower edge), but it looked a bit cleaned to me.

Mike Dunigan was amazing. Let's start with the fact that I bought a gorgeous 1821 Chihuahua 8 Reales from him and since I didn't bring my checkbook, he agreed to let me have the coin and send him the check once I'm back in Toronto. Granted, he had to get a nod from Andy Lustig that I'm a trustworthy guy, but to a Russian trust is a pretty big thing that takes often years to gain. Andy - thank you again for vouching for me. That check will be in the mail first thing monday morning. What followed was an about 20 minute conversation with Mike about different War of Independence and early Republic coins. What a knowledgeable guy! He had an 1812 Guadalajara 8 Reales in his case that was for sale ($18000, i believe) that I got a chance to examine and learn about the different edge used in that mint in 1812 and early 1813 (square and flower, instead of the usual square and circle colonial edge design). I also got a chance to hold in my hands the 1860 Chihuahua cap and ray and talk to him about my 1842 Type I Zacatecas piece. He also examined my mystery (date obliterated) Guadalajara 8 Reales and confirmed that it's an 1813.

Overall, I'm leaving with 3 NEWPS:

1812 Sombrerete de Vargas 8 Reales from Jorge Ortiz

I just did an arbitrary google search and it looks like he bought it from Heritage in 2004. What he paid 7 years ago vs what he charged me today just further supports my assessment of him. Great guy!

vargas-1812-8r-obv.jpgvargas-1812-8r-rev.jpg

1821 Chihuahua 8 Reales from Mike Dunigan

Strong strike, almost completely obliterating the underlying early Chihuahua 8 reales undertype. You can only see a hint of the counterstamps on the original.

Chiha-1821-8R-obv.jpgChiha-1821-8R-rev.jpg

1863 Oaxaca 8 Reales from Josh (Civitas) in ANACS 62. I have no doubt about it crossing into NGC plastic.

Overall - exciting morning! Definitely going to try and make it out to the next CICF and NYINC.

Part 2:

Went back inside and as I was walking by Mike Dunigan's table, something caught my eye. It was an absolutely gorgeous 1777 FF 8 Reales. The surfaces are simply pristine!!! Great strike and the fact that it was FF assayer made it all so much sweeter. I had to have it and the price was right.

Mex-1777-8R-obv.jpgMex-1777-8R-rev.jpg

As I was doing another walk-through of the bourse floor, I stopped by a table of a dealer (who turned out to not be a dealer, but a collector) with quite a few nice slabbed coins. One in particular stood out for me and the price was right, so in addition to all the other I am now a proud owner of an 1816 Mexico 8 Reales in PCGS63 holder with some SUPERB toning! I think both of us knew I got it for a fantastic price, because I ended-up saying "If it makes you feel better, this coin will find a good home in my 8 Reales collection". Thinking it would be only fair to share the collection with him, I asked if he posted on the NGC forums (since that's where you can see all of my pieces). He said, 'No, but I do post on PCGS forums".... It was Dan (bidask)! So, I ended-up meeting yet another Darksider and his wonderful wife Jenn.

18107302-medium.jpg

As we sat and shot the breeze with Dan, one of his clients heard us talking about PCGS forums and mentioned that he's a long-time lurker here and an active registry participant when it comes to Switzerland sets. Greig is the proud owner of The Sheffield Collection and hopefully will come out of his lurking and says HI!

So... yeah.... Awesome show! Glad I was able to make it to Chicago this year and will definitely try to go to the next CICF and NYINC.

Great report!! Sounds like you had a fantastic time and you picked up a few beauties too!!!