• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins with "Meat" - Got Any?

15 posts in this topic

My understanding that when one describes a coin as having "meat", it is a compliment. Coins that qualify are those that are circulated and have good detail for its grade, but also an overall appearance of quality in terms of color, strike, or some other distinctive characteristic that positively impacts its eye appeal.

Post a pic of a quality coin in your collection that you think has "meat". If you think my definition needs further clarity, provide your definition or add to mine above. Please carefully consider your choice and tell us why you chose it.

I'll start it off with my Fugio. I think it has good detail for its grade (BTW - just got it back from CAC with a green bean) and that the milk chocolate color and smooth planchet (not always the case with Fugios) merit consideration as a coin with "meat"!

20.jpg

My understanding that when one describes a coin as having "meat", it is a compliment. Coins that qualify are those that are circulated and have good detail for its grade, but also an overall appearance of quality in terms of color, strike, or some other distinctive characteristic that positively impacts its eye appeal.

Post a pic of a quality coin in your collection that you think has "meat". If you think my definition needs further clarity, provide your definition or add to mine above. Please carefully consider your choice and tell us why you chose it.

I'll start it off with my Fugio. I think it has good detail for its grade (BTW - just got it back from CAC with a green bean) and that the milk chocolate color and smooth planchet (not always the case with Fugios) merit consideration as a coin with "meat"!

20.jpg

agreed 110% :cloud9:

Nice Fugio! Love it. Gonna have to add one of those to my copper collection one day. Very pretty example.

Lance.

842eab60.jpg672d0e09.jpg

I agree about the "meat". Nice fugio catbert--that's a thick cut of meat!

Also, Lance, what a beautiful R.E. Bust. Would have loved to have had that in my collection.

Jim

This is a beautiful topic for a thread. I like to use the term "meat" in conjunction with the term "skin" and had never previously thought of how the two terms correlate with one another. hm In my opinion, the following coin has both, but it might not be aesthetically pleasing to all folks-

TBR2I1838P55.jpg

This is a beautiful topic for a thread. I like to use the term "meat" in conjunction with the term "skin" and had never previously thought of how the two terms correlate with one another. hm In my opinion, the following coin has both, but it might not be aesthetically pleasing to all folks-

TBR2I1838P55.jpg

110% pleasing to me and that is all that matters :cloud9:

If your coin has both meat and crust, then you have what pitmasters and barbecue aficionados refer to as "bark," which is the coveted crusty part of the meat with the most intense flavor.

Some great examples here! Do you think if a coin has "meat" that it is also "wholesome?" I've heard that adjective before, but never quite knew what the seller intended - probably similar to "honest wear." Probably both meaningless unless someone can provide an explanation of the terms.

Some great examples here! Do you think if a coin has "meat" that it is also "wholesome?" I've heard that adjective before, but never quite knew what the seller intended - probably similar to "honest wear." Probably both meaningless unless someone can provide an explanation of the terms.

No, I do not think these two terms necessarily go hand in hand. In my usage of the terms, "meat" is reserved to describe the remaining details of a coin so a piece with lots of meat will be one that has less wear than typically encountered or one that has less wear than is typical within a specific grade. However, "wholesome" infers to me a coin that might be original or at least on first glance has surfaces that appear original. Therefore, the terms have no correlation with one another. Additionally, I use "skin" in a manner that might overlap its usage with how others use the term wholesome, but my usage of the term skin is only for coins that I think are strictly original.

Of course, others are free to define these inherently ambiguous terms in other ways.