• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NINETEEN TWENTY SEVEN...

1 post in this topic

is arguably the finest year in U.S. Mint History.

I am having a hard time sleeping last night due to mass infusions of McDonald's sweet tea and I started thinking about coins and how we like to collect them. I thought about those old Whitman Snap-tite holders, the ones that had a space for the Cent through Dollar. Those were kind of the original slabs and are still available at your local coin shop today.

So, why 1927? It just happens to be about the only year where you can pick up all the best designs of U.S. coins at a reasonable price in with grades of XF and up, depending on your budget.

1. Lincoln Cent, 1927P, MS63 about $20.00

2. Buffalo Nickel, 1927P, MS63 about $80.00

3. Mercury Dime, 1927P, MS63 about $80.00

4. Standing Liberty Quarter, 1927P, AU55, about $100.00

5. Walking Liberty Half, 1927S (only mint available), XF45 about $200.00

6. Peace Dollar, 1927P, AU55, about $100.00

For those with a bit more cash, you can also add the relatively common St. Gaudens Double Eagle for a couple of thousand and even add the Vermont Sesquicentennial for another $350 or so.

But the basic Cent through Dollar is the set for the average budget and can probably be obtained in the conditions listed, or even a little better with judicious buying, for under 500.00.

I think I am going to go old school and see if I can put together the set, in a snap-tite. It would be a great little set to show off to folks, mostly under 40, who have no idea we ever had such beautiful coins.

8671.jpg

See more journals by Beaw