• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Horses Galore

4 posts in this topic

My new custom set...

I've been browsing the custom sets for a while now. Some of them are amazingly impressive and unique. After some thought, I decided to start a custom set of my own. I don't have any particular personal connection to horses, other than I think they are beautiful beyond description as animals. I know there are a lot of coins featuring the horse prominently, and so I thought this would be a unique and very educational custom set to start.

The set is still very small (only 9 coins so far), but the hunt for U.S. and world coins, medals, tokens, and proofs featuring the horse prominently is very exciting!

I received in hand today a beautiful NGC AU55 graded Irish Half Crown from 1939. This coin is the first year issue to bear the text "EIRE" denoting the change or Ireland from the "Irish Free State" to the "The Republic of Ireland" in 1938. It is struck in 75% Silver and had an original mintage of 880,000 coins, many of which are thought to have since been melted down for their Silver content. The horse image is stunning and simple, and attests to the fame and iconic nature of the Irish Sport Horse as a competition level breed.

The harp is the actual obverse of the coin; however, I present the coin side with the prominent horse image on the left for sake of the themed set.

Cheers and happy collecting!

8668.jpg

See more journals by brg5658

Cool, i am finding those custom sets are a great way to keep the collecting fires burning.

Can't wait to see how it develops.

Good Morning brg5658,

Your Learning the Ropes,quite well ! Your Topic is Very-Interesting!

Where I think now some collectors will search for out other animals as well, that minted in US an World Coinage.

Thank you for opening my eyes anyway, for now I can see a more open field

of collecting. Keep up the great work brg', be sure to post again, when you

get an album full of these ok?

( I ) for one, and many others I'm sure, would love to see them...

Good Luck in your Quest! Jim/jb4gpo/ (Jefferson Collector, 1938' to Date)