• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1821 Bust Dime jr 2 Reiver b.?

5 posts in this topic

I was searching my collection for varieties when I found this coin. It appears to be the same coin pictured here.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=390&Lot_No=22169

Does anyone know the diagnostics? I know how rare these things are, so I really can't believe I may have found one. I have attached scanned images.

111239.jpg.310a4fbee349752580070ecc8090cd69.jpg

111240.jpg.9bb6cadb8054554165042a872ff08aaa.jpg

is the JR-2 identified by the die break from the top of the first star to the left midpoint of the second? My coin does have that break. Is the reiver b. state identified by the sinking most evident on the second and third stars? My coin has this attribute also. Is this a rare variety?

The new images don't necessarily help much, since they seem to be resized up from the old images. But at any rate, I believe you have JR-1, which uses the same obverse die as JR-2. You have a later die-state which has the obvious break along the first few stars, but even earlier die states show signs of the pending break.

Really, you want to begin attributing these by the REVERSE first, narrow down the possible die-marriages by the scroll position, then go to the obverse to finalize the attribution.

JR-1 is an R.2 die-marriage, but I don't know what die-state yours is in.