• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC prices and deviations: Barbers Vs. Peace. Vs Indian 2.50

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I thought I would join because I wanted to get some objective advice. I'm currently building collections in 3 areas- 1) High grade Peace dollars (MS63-MS66), 2) Indian 2.50 Gold (MS60-MS63), and 3) Barber Halves (VF20-EF 45).

Lately I've been seeing some things with pricing in the market that I don't understand, and would like some guidance.

-Indian 2.50 is dropping like a brick. Not the key coin (1911 D), but just about everything else. In the conditions that I collect, I'm seeing prices typically 20-30% below the NGC list price- all this while Gold is taking off. Right now I'm a buyer, but before I keep buying at these prices, I'd like know what people think... worst would be if I keep buying the prices really start to tank.

-Barber Halves- This is my newest collection which I just started this year. I understand that silver prices are having an impact here, but it seems that the NGC prices are at best a floor, and that market price is typically 10-30% higher. Also, as a new collector, I've noticed that the PCGS slabs are clearly superior in the same grade- I don't see this in the Indian $2.50 and Peace dollars where NGC and PCGS seem to be comparable.

-Peace Dollars- Overall prices seem to track NGC. However, every once in a while some sellers on Ebay release a batch of fantastic PCGS slabs onto the market which typically go for 10-15% below market. These dollars are typically blazing white,and if they didn't have the PCGS slab (which I do verify), I would think something has been done to them.

Anyway, these are just a few observations of a newbie to the forum. I would love to hear some insight. Thanks!

Really, I can only make a suggestion on the Barber halves... and my advice would be not to collect certified coins at all in the grade range you mentioned. They are easy to grade between Poor and MS-60, so why pay an extra $20 to $30 for certification fees, when so many of the coins in VF to EF can be found for $60 to $150? It's like paying an exorbitant tax rate of 15% to 50% for your coins.

I recommend taking the extra time to pick through uncertified coins, and saving up funds for additional purchases, rather than adding plastic that hides too much of your coin to begin with.

Of course, I'm assuming you feel confident and competent, which you must since you can discern the difference between NGC and PCGS grading.

Just one person's opinion, of course, but I have never felt compelled to buy certified barber halves in nice, circulated grades.

welcome to the boards (thumbs u

great questions by the way and all

the questions you ask are all the right ones to ask

but are just too complicated, delicate and controversal for me to simply answer without many coins in hand to compare and contrast

anyways good luck with your collecting and

i think i would take james advice to heart (thumbs u

On second thought, I can speak to the Peace dollars. Retail price guides are much too high in general on them. The truth is "greysheet", which is wholesale, is the true retail, and the true wholesale is 10% - 15% below greysheet! That correlates with what you've seen.

Howdy and welcome. I am very familiar with circulated Barber halves so I took particular interest in your statements on this series-

"Barber Halves- This is my newest collection which I just started this year. I understand that silver prices are having an impact here, but it seems that the NGC prices are at best a floor, and that market price is typically 10-30% higher. Also, as a new collector, I've noticed that the PCGS slabs are clearly superior in the same grade- I don't see this in the Indian $2.50 and Peace dollars where NGC and PCGS seem to be comparable."

Silver prices have little impact on Ch VF or better Barber half dollars. PCGS and NGC have both graded a boatload of overgraded dogs, in my opinion, in this series and this grade range. I would urge you to buy both raw and certified in this range and to look for unmitigated originality where possible.

The three series you mention are quite different in terms of length and collector popularity. Some collectors go for Indian quarter eagles and Peace dollars primarily because these two series are relatively short. Due to the large number of counterfeits floating around, I would not even consider collecting any gold series by buying raw coins--buy certified only.

Barber halves had more mint issues and were workhorse coins. I put together a set in AU55 or so years ago (and have since sold it), and doing this nearly became a chore. Be VERY picky--most VF-AU Barber halves that I have seen over the years are not worth a second glance, including coins that are in slabs. Greysheet pricing for coins with good eye appeal tends to be WAY too low. Look for coins that have a 'not messed with' look---not dipped white, no hairlines from an old cleaning, no light polishing, etc. This is a series that will teach a collector the meaning of patience. I also suggest that you invest some $$ in one or two books (the ones by David Lawrence and by Kevin Flynn).