• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm Still Around posted by Jackson

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Other hobbies but there's always coins...

Well I haven't gone anywhere. I know that I haven't journaled in quite a while but I have still been busy with the hobby and also reading the posts by others.

Besides this time of year and the demands on my time by other hobbies--Stanley Cup Playoffs time, opening of Rockfish season in the Bay, getting my early spring veggies in the ground ( snow peas, broccoli, cauliflower etc)..add the stresses of work, family and my first grandbaby ( my beautiful granddaughter whom I adore) and although I've continued with my numismatic pursuits, I have not had any time to keep my friends here abreast.

I almost wrote last weekend after reading Kerry and Dan's journals because of the coincidences. You see, recently I had gone down to a local antique shop where there is a small area with a bunch of coins in a case to see what might be there. I was actually speculating to see if any of the items that were once a bit overpriced might now be more reasonable with the rising silver costs. As luck had it I ended up finding some lower grade Walkers and early commems for about $10 each, and also about 30 of the Ike blue packs for $7 each. I bought everything they had that was below melt, sold the Ikes on ebay for enough profit that I got to keep 11 free Walker halves.

The other post that got me wanting to write was mention of the Stacks/Bowers Auction at the Baltimore -Whitman Coin Expo. I also attended and I actually found and won an upgrade for my Walker Short Set. About a month ago I spent a pretty penny on an MS67 1947 upgrade for the set ( I actually increased my points by 1700+ but stayed in 12th place). Well this time I bought a 1942-D MS67 and (for now) this will put me up into 11th place--at least until CBC gets his next upgrade ( we've been jockeying back and forth for over a year now).

So that's mostly it..only 2 coin purchases of note and I'm still adding rolls of silver bullion to my holdings. Even at $40 an ounce I believe that there is still some upward movement ahead before things level off--but don't take this as any prognostication, I could be wrong and I also plan on holding onto my buys for a long while.

Anyhow, that's about it..glad to see so many newer collectors bringing their enthusiasm to the hobby, good luck and happy hunting everyone--here's a picture of my 1942-D ( I haven't added it to my set since it's not yet in hand)..

8650.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

Thanks Gary. Her name is Jade-and she has me absolutely wrapped around her little finger. All she has to do is give me one of her little smiles, lift her arms up in the air, and I'm powerless--I have to pick her up and smooch her. She has me trained well.

PS: I was perusing your inspirational ladies, boy that set has taken off even more since I last looked. I think you've about doubled it since you won the signature/custom set award--quite an assemblage of beautiful designs.

There will be more Inspirational ladies in the coming months, I have Florence Nightingale and Mother Teresa waiting in the wings to be graded!

Jackson, Congratulations on the new-little woman in your life. I hope I have a few more years till my grandchildren ( but if tomorrow ), they will be a blessing. Oh yeah your coin is SWEET-----

Later