• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on cleaning copper

4 posts in this topic

Resending to add this coin is being returned not conserved.

I recently sent in this coin for conservation. It's a beatiful red brown that is mostly red. I wouldn't have even considered sending it in if it wasn't for a light fingerprint that can be seen in front of the obverse portrait under indirect lighting. Direct light tends to hide the fingerprint. Is it that you can't remove a fingerprint or could it be you didn't see it.

1799slab.jpg

1799obv2x.jpg

Fingerprints can be problematic to remove. The oils that make up fingerprints can etch into the surface metal with time and particular environmental conditions. Fresh fingerprints can be completely removed but older fingerprints can often times only be lightened in their severity with steps taken to prevent their worsening over time.

It is likely that this fingerprint has been on the surface of this coin for quite some time. Conservation would not be able to remove the evidence of the fingerprint.

Chris, NCS

a fingerprint from the 1800's most likely! I wouldn't remove it due to historical character that it adds. I'm a sucker for historical stuff. You might have the finger print of someone who has been dead for over 150 years!