• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1920 Pilgrim Commemorative

9 posts in this topic

Not my forte but I will say NT and better than MS63 but again, not my forte. I like the looks of it, I have one that isn't that eye appealing.

I was made aware of SpaceMonkey's Photoshop templates. I googled and found his "reflection" procedure here.

I then went through a lot of "Photoshop Pain" tonight. Here is my first attempt:

Pilgrim_Composite_1.jpg

Where does art begin and numistmatics end?

For some reason, Pilgrims are commonly found with gold toning. Yours looks AU-55 to me.

Yeah and they grade these tough too - they want to see heavy details.

Ditto the above as the lettering looks flattened

It also looks like a clean/retone to me.

I am a big fan of old commemoratives. I just purchased a Lafayette myself. This pilgrim is a High AU+, Low MS 60. There is only wear on the common high points on this coin(ie. OBV hair & brim of hat; REV. side of boat and mast poles.)

The yellow tone IS common for this coin, but NOT with the luster I see on yours (and we all know that nice toning carries a premium above book value). I would pay $50.00 above book value for an AU58 grade due to the toning.

(I'm not offering to buy the coin, just trying to put a value on it from a collector's perspective)