• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotated Coins posted by fiftyactionexpress

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Not Rotated Die Coins. Rotated Coins in NGC or PCGS Holders.

I have a 1882-O Morgan Dollar NGC Graded MS63 that is rotated in the holder. I was wondering if anybody else has coins like this and possible theories on how it happened?

See more journals by fiftyactionexpress

Maybe sloppy placement in the holder at initial encapsulation or maybe a batch of the inserts had their tolerances slightly off and have just enough extra room for the coin to rotate over time. Or maybe the coin itself has a slightly smaller diameter than a normal Morgan.

It is not that unusual for older graded coins to rotate to some degree. The old PCGS slabs referred to as "rattlers" were notorious for this and hence the name.

I've had this happen two times in the recent past. I wrote about it in one of my journals. I had to tap it about a thousand times on its edge to get it back to being right. Check out my past journal to see pictures.