• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 P MORGAN DOLLAR

12 posts in this topic

UNC Details - Damaged

Despite the impending malpractice suit for a lousy corneal implant, it looks like she might have an "Alligator Eye".

Chris

I would call this coin Au 58 – MS 61 . Based only on the photo I don’t think the mark on the eye would put this in a details holder.

The "Alligator Eye" is a VAM designation for doubling as illustrated in my photo below. I didn't see one listed for the 1892-P at VAMWorld.

Chris

110882.jpg.38f56ddd2a4be1eb3767ebb6142ef7ad.jpg

I would call this coin Au 58 – MS 61 . Based only on the photo I don’t think the mark on the eye would put this in a details holder.

Mark, I can't be sure from his photo, but if it was put there intentionally, then a details grade is quite possible. It looks like it was made with a punch of some kind.

Chris

I added a third angle to the original post. I never really noticed the punch before. It actually looks more like the high point had been rubbed a little. There's no actual punch.

Mark, I can't be sure from his photo, but if it was put there intentionally, then a details grade is quite possible. It looks like it was made with a punch of some kind.

Chris

I agree with you however I think the mark appears to be natural and not intentional. The photo is to small to tell for sure.

In my book, it is definitely not UNC. It is likely AU-58, but AU-55 at minimum, and the images show me no reason it shouldn't make it at NGC. However, I doubt the value makes certification cost-worthy.

I'm with Mark on this one. With the photos that have been provided, I feeI AU58-- MS61 is an accurate guess. I definitely wouldn't consider it damaged.

As for the gator eye, definitely would need better pics to determine that.