• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since we broached the subject posted by moondoggy

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This doesn't make sense to me

I still don't understand why a CAC certified coin carries a premium ??? I mean take an NGC certified coin. It has gone through 3 graders to arrive at the particular grade. So now you send it to someone else to "see" if they agree ???? As most know, grading is not an exact science, so how can someone pay a premium for a CAC coin which in essence is just another graders opinion. A total waste of money and time in my opinion.

Where does it end .......

See more journals by moondoggy

I buy the coins, stopped puttin stickers on my dresser when I was 14. Don't need any on my holders. I guess if you have a ugly coin that you think was over graded you may want one of those stickers.

Later---Rick

My experience is that on the general open market, a CAC coin carries no premium, or might carry a very small premium. But like any other artificial niche, there is a very small percentage of people who will pay a premium for no rational reason, whether they like the coin or not, or whether they have even seen it. In other words, some people simply buy the sticker, not the coin.

To each his own. I will pay a premium for some COINS, but a sticker doesn't matter, nor does the slab, in my decision making process.

There was an eBay seller that I recall who put small gold star stickers on his common date NGC slabbed Morgans. Perhaps his wife was a school teacher and had a good supply of these to reward her best students.

The stars meant nothing but he sold every slab he listed. :whistle:

I agree with you, Moondoggy. I'll trust NGC which has been around 20+ years over a little sticker that has only been around for 5 years or so. However, NGC and PCGS have started doing this in a way, with their "+" designations. A MS65+ coin is worth more than a MS65 coin. But with this being such a new designation, a coin graded before this, could be at the same grade, but not worth as much because of the last of "+". I guess it goes to reaffirm that the only constant is change.

Marcus

I also agree with you Moondoggy. I'm new to this "game" but have decided that having my coins certified by NGC is a good idea. So far I've been quite pleased. It gives me peace-of-mind knowing that my coins are authentic and knowing the condition designated by a panel of experts. It seems to me that these "sticker" organizations are attempting to place themselves "above it all" as THE authority. You're right on with the comment "where does it end"? I'm certainly not goint to pay a premium for a gold, green or purple sticker and I'm not going to send my coins in to have one applied.

Amen, I am quite satisfied with the grades assigned by NGC and PCGS. I have no need

to pay a premium for a little green sticker that basically says, they agree with the NGC and PCGS grade. Especially since they're doing their "Grading" through a plastic holder that cannot possibly provide as clear a view of the coin as the original 3 graders had when

assigning the grade.