• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old coin, new pix. 1886 Morgan reverse toner.

21 posts in this topic

I'm not per se a Morgan guy, but I saw this coin about 5 years ago and had to get it. The coin was imaged by Shane Canup and I think he did an excellent job.

SKYMAN2005.jpg

SKYMAN2001.jpg

Cat Call Whistle :whistle:

Cat call whistle huh? I've heard of a wolf whistle, but a cat call... how's that go? :whistle:

Cat call whistle huh? I've heard of a wolf whistle, but a cat call... how's that go? :whistle:

It's the whistle used to acknowledge fancy of the female persuasion, in this case the portrait on the obverse ~ Anna Willess Williams?

I think the desending two note whistle was popularized by construction workers building skyscraper in New York. :whistle:

It's the whistle used to acknowledge fancy of the female persuasion, in this case the portrait on the obverse ~ Anna Willess Williams?

I think the desending two note whistle was popularized by construction workers building skyscraper in New York. :whistle:

Interesting. I've always known it as a wolf whistle. Maybe different geographic areas in the US call it differently. To me a cat call (which I realize is different than a cat call whistle) is when you don't like something, e.g. you shout out something catty...

Gorgeous coin, but I have a question for everyone.

If this coin was cracked and resubmitted, what chance would you give it to grade vs body bag for AT?

My curiosity has been peaked in my travels. :devil:

If this coin was cracked and resubmitted, what chance would you give it to grade vs body bag for AT?

Personally I think if the coin was submitted to NGC or PCGS 10 times it would come back in a graded holder each time....who knows if the grade would change but I don't believe it would ever get body bagged. hm

I see absolutely nothing about this coin that would raise an AT alarm. Looks like fantastic natural toning.

Here are the quotes in case anyone is interested.

Originally Posted by Ripley

AT but pretty

Originally Posted by LafayetteDollar

You mean, NT and stunning.

Originally Posted by GDJMSP

Actually, there's no way to say one way or the other. It could easily be either.

Crack that coin out and submit it today, and the odds are 50-50 it will be slabbed.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/showthread.php?t=165390&pagenumber=#ixzz1IUOSvLcr

Does anyone else find it irresponsible to tell a whole bunch of newbies that this coin has a 50/50 chance of body bagging for AT?

Here are the quotes in case anyone is interested.

Originally Posted by Ripley

AT but pretty

Originally Posted by LafayetteDollar

You mean, NT and stunning.

Originally Posted by GDJMSP

Actually, there's no way to say one way or the other. It could easily be either.

Crack that coin out and submit it today, and the odds are 50-50 it will be slabbed.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/showthread.php?t=165390&pagenumber=#ixzz1IUOSvLcr

Does anyone else find it irresponsible to tell a whole bunch of newbies that this coin has a 50/50 chance of body bagging for AT?

Truth be told, newbies should not be buying into seriously toned Morgans unless they can afford to lose it all (well, neither should old coinhands either, it's just that they have a somewhat better idea of what is real and what is not). Newbies should be buying moderately toned Morgans if they like toning... the price multiples aren't too bad and the newbies can learn about the toning characteristics of different date/mm. After they've gotten their feet wet for a while then they can move on to more outrageously toned Morgans.

As to the people claiming AT on this coin, well... look at some of their other comments on other coins... :o

Sy,

I agree with you but when a newbie shows up and calls the coin AT, and another newbie shows up and calls it NT, and then the administrator with almost 30K posts shows up and declares the market acceptability of the coin 50/50, I find that wholly irresponsible. How many of the newbies on that forum are going treat that post as gospel?

Paul