• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cameo contrast in 1969 proof Kennedy half dollars

5 posts in this topic

I was curious about how normally non cameo proofs are struck as cameos. I have a dealer on Ebay who states that all of these type coins in 1969 proof sets are cameo. I of course know this not to be true. So how do they become cameos?

The striking of mass produced Cameo proofs was actually a lost art until the US Mint in San Fransisco took over producing the proof sets in 1969. The Mother Mint in Philadelphia was producing the proof sets prior to that date with mixed results. Some coins in the Philly sets of the 50's & 60's were cameo, most were not. Some were only cameo on just one side until flipped over to see that the die did not impart the necessary contrast on the other side.

The San Fransisco Mint could allow more time to produce quality coins, so in 1969 the proof sets contained in plastic lenses began to show more and more cameo devices and lettering. Again, not all 1969 proof sets contained 100% cameo contrasts, but they were getting better at it. One factor that was evident was to pull the dies after so many strikes, putting in new dies or recently refurbished used dies.

Cameo coins are struck as is and cannot be made a legitimate cameo (artificial frosting) post mint. As the production of proof sets continued, all coins in the set would be cameo and by the 90's, all coins would be considered deep cameo or even ultra cameo.

Hope this answers some of your question.

just like TPGs, collectors and sellers have different gradung standards

perhaps this person considers what you call brilliant a cameo

I know with lighting and angles, many proof coins can pic to look cameo when

everything just right

True cameo contrast on the coins became more common starting with theSan Francisco proofs in 68 but there didn't really become commonplace until the early 70's and not the norm until about 1973. Dcams didn't become commonplace until later than that.