• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1926 oregon PCGS67 sells for $69,000

26 posts in this topic

WOWWIE. Nice colorful 1926 oregon PCGS67 first generation holder sells for $60k plus the juice at Superior Auction 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Must be this one:

Oregon

Isn't that the one everyone over at the PCGS board said was AT?

I forgot the delaer who used to own that...damn...older guy with a grayish beard. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif He sells pretty Morgan dollars now....damn..

jom

I was actually the one that started the thread here stating my assumption that the piece was AT. I guess I was either wrong or somebody got taken for the price of a very nice new car or boat. Remember that this is a very common date coin that is common in high grade. While I appreciate beautiful toning and have been known to pay 200-300% sheet price for nice coins, this strikes me as madness.

I think someone said Mike DeFalco once owned that monster colorful superb gem Oregon.

Yep, here it is before it turned darker.

inventoryopener.jpg

I don't know when the DeFalco picture was taken of the coin but I would be scared of how much the coin has turned in the slab since that time. I am also real curious about the origin of the coin's "natural" toning. Did the original owner keep the coin on his windowsill downwind from the chemical factory? Regardless, the price paid is even more stunning than the coin.

the coin is original and superb

since it is so rare and superb and one of a kind

not usually seen

many even advanced early commem collectors have not seen such an animal before

since they do not know it they fear it

which leads to distrust and wild opinions

just human nature

and i think the photo of the coin made it look even more suspect as jeremy says the photo is tweaked

which is not good or bad but usually tweaked photos of coinas help sell them not in this case! but the sight seen viewing and history of the coin was the key to its price

michael

Ok Michael,

The coin is original and superb.

Never the less so is the price.

For my money, this amount would buy not just a beautiful coin but a date rarety as well.

I would not tell people how to spend their gold just puzzle at the amount they are willing to contribute to the coin economy.

Remember that this is a very common date coin that is common in high grade. While I appreciate beautiful toning and have been known to pay 200-300% sheet price for nice coins, this strikes me as madness.

I couldn’t agree more.

John

Remember that this is a very common date coin that is common in high grade. While I appreciate beautiful toning and have been known to pay 200-300% sheet price for nice coins, this strikes me as madness.

I couldn’t agree more.

John

Ditto. I think that this is sick insane.gif, but the people who are paying these prices for common coins like this are totally out of my relm. Toning and grade can ONLY take youy SO FAR. After a while common sense has to kick in, maybe when the price gets to 6 figures. 893frustrated.gif

Having seen that this coin as gotten darker, I'd be concerned that the process will continue. There is already a spot at 4 o'clock on the reverse that has gone a bit too far for my taste. It appears that the coin may not have been as dark in that spot in the previous picture.

Does anyone know the time gap between the two pictures? If it's only been a few months to a couple of years that could be an indicator that this color is questionable. Natural toning takes years to form. AT forms rather quickly and sometimes keeps going. foreheadslap.gif, which can be a disaster for folks who have paid runa away prices like this.

Let's see. The wimpers at PCGS missed the call?

As usual?

More great contributions to this forum,

as usual....

I would have a very hard time giving any credence to a possible color change for this coin based only upon the images provided. Be honest, we all know how much a coin can vary in "look" simply be image method or technique, as well as by post-image manipulation. I put no stock in the images as a barometer of change in this case.

I would have a very hard time giving any credence to a possible color change for this coin based only upon the images provided. Be honest, we all know how much a coin can vary in "look" simply be image method or technique, as well as by post-image manipulation. I put no stock in the images as a barometer of change in this case.

1926soregon.jpg

Left image is 20 years ago. Right image is today.

On the today image there looks to be a lot of dark purple from 5:00 to 10:00 that isn't on the original image.

The guy leading the animals. Look at his hand in the current picture. The dark color passes his hand and is half way across the stick. Not so in the old picture.

Maybe it's the photo techniques or manipulation, but from just what I see the dark toning has grown quite a bit. But, I agree, without seeing the coin in person today and 20 years ago, there is no way to tell for 100% sure.

It's probably the scientist in me more than anything else, however, I have no idea which image even looks more realistic to how the coin looks in its present state. As such, I just discount the images, even if I agree with the principle.

Isn't it possible that the coin could have changed in a natural environment since the first picture was taken? Who's to say where the coin has been since the first picture was taken?

That being said, I still find this toning "funny". Reminds me of that Roenoke that was floating around between the dealers in the ANACS holder and finally ended up in an NGC holder. It looked "funny" also.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Jom,

Dunno if you had a chace to view that coin in person. I did, and to my eye it was quite amazing. I don't know the whole history of this coin, and I don't care. As it is now, me likey very much!

smile.gif

EVP

for me

beauty and price are in the eye of the beholder

it only takes one to be a winner

i see many auction prices of many things

some i would pay more for lots more

others seem reasonable to me

some seem crazy

but beauty like value is in the eye of the beholder

since many do not specialize in such commems and did not see the coin 20 years ago in person and have not viewed it in person within the last few months.........

but if you look at this auction catalogue and i have it in hand now

ALL THE color PHOTOS in the catalogue seem really strange colors to me 893whatthe.gif

and of course like every auction coin

some will absolutely not like the price

others will be shocked

and yet others will bid on it

come close and only one will be the winner that is why it is called an auction

cloud9.gifBUY WHAT YOU LIKE WITH MONEY YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE cloud9.gif

michael

michael

Ok Michael,

The coin is original and superb.

Never the less so is the price.

For my money, this amount would buy not just a beautiful coin but a date rarety as well.

((((( i see your point and that is your opinion which is okie***************

I would not tell people how to spend their gold just puzzle at the amount they are willing to contribute to the coin economy.

(((((((((((((i did not tell anyone how to spend their gold either

and for me i am NOT puzzled at what it brought))))))))))))))

--------------------

Trime

as per the above trime the price is what it is

would i buy it at this price? i do not know as i do not have that kind of money if i had the $$ i would have bought it!!

and yes for many peoples money

they would not buy it either

well i would not get plastic surgery done which thousands do for tens of millions a year

but what does that have to do with anything???????

everything in life is a choice and this bidder made a choice

i have seen many more crazier things like millions more crazier things and i am sure i have much better things too

i guess you can say that about alot of things

and for me again i am not puzzled at all.............

michael

Michael,

I am not criticizing the buyer; it is his money and may prove to be the investment or collectors choice of the year.

I was only expressing my own view. I like the feel of a high grade truly rare date or variety. The thing about boards is you can express yourself freely and then wait to get educated. If you think this is a terrific coin because of its superior quality then I agree. If it has some thing else about it then I need to study it more. I might say that with this coin there are not likely to uncover many (any?) better. This is less true for the high priced exceptional grade more modern coins where there are potentially thousands stashed away. If I were the owner, your supportive comments on the "value" of the coin would please me. In my mind there are few with a more critical eye and knowledge of coins than yourself. acclaim.gif