• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1979 Washington Cameo?

7 posts in this topic

ngc has cameo and then there is ultra cameo which is totally thickly frosted with no frost breaks

i think you have an ultra cameo coin and i am almost positive from your photo of the obverse

the reverse which i cant see if it is as strong as the obverse then definately!

see how the frost on the face is all white

imagine if you will if there are some clear spots/streaks/patches where it is not heavy white but clear like a mirror

these are frost breaks

another way to look at it

see how a deep dark chocolate cake is frosted with creamy white buttercream frosting??

well if you can see parts of the chocolate peeking through

well that is breaks in the frosting

get it??

:)

now the services certainly can add some give and take but it all depends on the series but usually a ultra cameo has to look like your frosted washington to get the ultra if not evenmoreso

hard for me to tell you

as it involves experience in looking at thousands of coins over many years to develop the eye and still there are many near misses and not quite there cameos that get it and some that dont

it all depends on the overall look of the coin which i cant tell you but show me the coin and i can tell you if it is ultra or not

sorry if i have confused you but with grading and cameos it is not an exact science but an art

hope this helps my friend