• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever regret a submission?

14 posts in this topic

I'm new to submitting coins for a grade and a novice collector (that could be my problem). I purchased two colonial era coins from a reputable dealer a while ago and sent them to NGC for certification. NGC labeled both as having "scratches". I didn't see anything significant before submitting them and the dealer never mentioned the word "scratches". Minor surface flaws, yes, but not scratches. Now I guess I know a flaw can interpreted as a "scratch" by NGC. Because of the result I regret the submission. Anyone else have regrets?

A little while ago I think I went 0-9 and all the coins came back as AT....

So yes... but recently I resubmitted a couple of them and they did grade. So you may want to try again...

sorry to hear of this and unfortunately there are sad times with submissions but also good times too!!

but everything is a subjective opinion when submitting raw coins

i think the mad one a few years ago said it best across the street

"when the slab doesn't fit, resubmit"

and welcome to the boards!!

Have you re-examined the coins, in order to try to see the "scratches" ?

I'm not saying that you should necessarily be swayed by NGC's opinion. But sometimes, it is a purchase that should be regretted, rather than the submission thereof. ;)

I'm new to submitting coins for a grade and a novice collector (that could be my problem). I purchased two colonial era coins from a reputable dealer a while ago and sent them to NGC for certification. NGC labeled both as having "scratches". I didn't see anything significant before submitting them and the dealer never mentioned the word "scratches". Minor surface flaws, yes, but not scratches. Now I guess I know a flaw can interpreted as a "scratch" by NGC. Because of the result I regret the submission. Anyone else have regrets?

I am not going to single out any particular grading service, but in my opinion, third-party grading of colonial coins is the single most unreliable area of their expertise. I firmly believe that less than 50% are properly graded - actually, a lot less (and I'll leave it at that). To me, it's an utter waste of time getting such old coins of such radically different manufacturing technologies graded as if they were assembly-line productions. The only purpose I see is for authenticity and attribution.

Even the "protection" aspect is just plain irrelevant, in this case. Old copper needs to be able to "breathe", and handling such pieces (with appropriate care, of course), is not harmful to them in the slightest.

I will not own an encapsulated colonial coin, period. If I'd be afraid to crack it out, then I just won't own it. Scratches, dings, planchet flaws, graffiti - these are all par for the course, and "no grade" makes no sense in the overall proper net-grading scheme of things.

Just food for thought. The coins belong to you, not a grading service, and I would urge you to store them in a format that will bring you maximum enjoyment. Stuck in a slab is likely not it.

I never regret education. And that's what this is. Many of us have paid much higher tuition.

Study the coins and learn from the expert opinions you paid for. It's okay to disagree. What's important is disagreeing with knowledge and not emotion.

Mark's point is valid. Too often we blame the grader instead of ourselves for having bought problem coins.

Lance.

The little I know when it comes to grading is a direct result of my bank account being pummeled by grading fees.....I have so many purple slabs that I'm thinking about requesting a Purple everyman registry.......

With that said, it's really a cheap way of learning...depending on whether your a quick study or not....nothing hits home like getting hit in the ego an wallet at the same time......

A guy I met at NGC when I first started getting coins graded a couple years ago told me " When you figure out what the graders are looking for, you will make a lot of nice grades)....

Well, the best way to do that imo at the time was to pick what I felt were the best and submit them..........

I still have a ways to go but I do on occasion get one or two right....

Welcome to the forum, man...

Some pics of these coins would be great. We do love our coin pics. I would not worry in the least about any copper coin that I was satisfied with, but a tpg wasn't. Like James said, you have to expect a little more wear, scratched surfaces, rim nicks and such for this old a coin(just think where and what this coin has been through). Just enjoy the pieces for your own collection. Now if they rejected it as non genuine, then be upset.

Best of luck.

Jim

I have the same problem with my Spanish colonial coins on occassion. I recently bought a 1759 Peru pillar 1R that came back "AU Details, scratches". The coin is scratched but, in my opinion though more than others I own with a numerical grade, not significantly so given the coins age.

Hi There .

Have to admit the first submission for me was a shocker *8 from 9 were cleaned but they were each valueable lessons . I 'm better at it now but can still get a details grade from time to time .

Take your time and listen to the advice that is free on this forum . It is worth it's weight in gold :grin:

Cheers Martin

The fact that he didn't notice anything significant before submitting them raises a question in my mind that I hope someone will be able to answer.

Is it possible to "mask" old surface imperfections like scratches by thumbing a coin?

Chris

If the coins are indeed scratched then you should not regret the submission, but rather regret the purchase. The submission might have taught you a valuable lesson.

I have wasted money on submissions a few times that had no purpose.

I owned a condition census example of a 1797 cent, S-139, years ago that flunked (body bagged) at both PCGS and NGC. To get it into a holder I sent it to ANACS. A couple of years ago I decided to sell it via the EAC auction. The coin had a long pedigree of former owners, and I knew the coin would bring a better price if it were sold raw so I cracked it. The ANACS holder turned out to be a complete waste of money.

Here's a picture of the coin. It is really quite nice, but the services didn't agree with the old time large cent collectors who once owned it.

1797CentO.jpg1797CentR.jpg