• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spring Has Sprung...

3 posts in this topic

with a vengeance. It has snowed off and on all weekend. But this is about coins so on to that.

I said that I would spend the winter trying to get a least a rough grade for all my raw mint state coins. Now, I'm finished. Well, almost. I've still got to enter about 200 into my custom lists here. That's a job all unto itself.

The results weren't unexpected, but a little disappointing even so. Out of over 1000 coins, less than a hundred are worth taking a second look at and of these less than 30 look like they are worth the expense of submitting.

All this has certainly been an educational experience and I do believe that in the end it will improve my grading abilities. I've also taken advantage of the inventory report to get a rough idea of the value of my collection. It's surprising how fast five and six dollar coins add up when there are so many of them.

Now for spring, I've decided to grade my proof sets. Talk about self-inflicted punishment! Another 1000+ coins and more nights spent under a lamp. That's not counting the untold hours spend entering the information into custom sets on this site.

Enjoy your collections,

Phil

See more journals by Phil Nunemacher

I've kind of found the same thing with my older raw coins. As I evaluate them I realize how

many look cleaned or even whizzed when I never really noticed such things 25 years ago.

Good luck with those proof sets, I hope you yield a lot of PF70's.

I've experience a little of that also. I pulled out a what looked like beautiful 1955-D quarter only find no luster and what looks like scratch marks from 9 to 1 o'clock on the obverse. I can only presume that it was dipped (over-dipped?) and rubbed with a cloth. My initial MS66 or MS67 (no bag marks to face or field) dropped to junk status fast.

One reason for it taking so long to do this is that I'm trying to match old invoices to each coin or mint set. Something that I didn't do originally. That's also the reason that a five or six dollar result is adding up. After all, some of these coins cost me 30, 40 or 50 cents originally.

I don't expect much in the way of PF70's. My expectations on Mint issued sets has fallen greatly.