• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 SACAGAWEA PROOF DIE CRACKS??? posted by namvette68

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Is it really a PF70ER?

Hello everyone,

I just received a 2011 Sac PF70ER in the mail, and was examining it when I found 2 tiny die cracks between 7 and 8 O'clock on the true reverse of the coin. The coin is definitely a 70, but I wonder if any more of you have noticed this. With the relatively small number of 70s, as compared to other years, might they qualify as a "mint error" also? If you have one or more, I'd like to know.

On another hand, are any of you sending in coins to be graded, and they are coming back with very low grades because fingerprints have been added while they were out of your control?

They all boast about how they can handle raw coins with bare hands, but they have to stop eating chips while grading. PCGS did the same thing, so they're all guilty. Their reply? "You must have sent it to us like that." While it was only a 69 when it went to them, they made it into a 65. All I can hope for now is silver going higher so I can melt it. I never open the capsules......I guess the Mint does it?

I scanned the cracks, but they're tiny. Let's hope we get a special slot?

Good luck all!

8552.jpg

See more journals by namvette68

Really good questions on the die cracks. I don't have an answer.

With MS issues in nickels, they seem to lower the grade, even in a clean coin, if it's a late die stage.

With MS cents, they seem to keep the high grade with clad surface bubbles (although I haven't seen an MS68 clad cent with bubbles, they've had no problem giving me 67's).

With foreign clad copper, they knocked my grade down about 3-4 because of the bubbles.

Just depends on the grader, I guess. Probably some discrepancies in proofs, too. I could imagine famous die cracks getting 70's, but ordinary ones getting knocked down. The other issue is that they only look at a coin for 4-10 seconds, so the first glance through a 7x loupe might look like a scratch and not a die crack.