• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Currency, Less Sets

1 post in this topic

One benefit possibly will be higher grades.

Hi all,

Well, I know I've been waffling on this for the last year. On Wednesday night (? I think it was) I took the big plunge. Some of you who have followed my sets have probably already noticed my Franklin FBL set is gone, along with several other sets. I've decided to delete them, sell a major portion of my coins so I can afford some more currency. I've come to the conclusion that my interests I've held long term is the way to go.

What I'm going to do is concentrate a lot more on top graded currency (65EPQ and better) and coins that fit into my Western theme. There will be some coins included which fit in with my other major interests, namely World War 2 and railroads.

Silver and gold will be my major focus, I see NGC has gold registry sets by mint, so I will be paying attention to these, and then putting silver coins in Custom sets grouped by Western mint. Of course, these mints will be New Orleans, Denver, Carson City and San Francisco. A few PHiladelphia coins will be found in various custom sets. One example is a 1964 Kennedy half my mom gave me, it will be included in my "Brian's Beauties" custom set.

My major world interests will be Mexico, South America and Germany (and states) gold and silver. They will be ound in various custom sets also.

This decision will also give me time to really work on my custom sets. I know I've given my major set "The Wild, Wild West" hardly any attention this past year. This will definitely change. I've look at some other member's set which have won "Best Presented" awards and really want to try to go up to their level. There are some AWESOME sets here, and I applaud the member's efforts. I hope I'm good enough to try to emulate them.

I'll also still be working on my photography skills. I've noticed some other members here also that have some gorgeous pictures. This is one thing I love about the Collector's Society, the desire to have superb sets, and it spurs me on to try to make mine better.

Currency of course will be a major part of my collecting hobby. I'm watching a Stack's/Bowers auction along with Lyn Knight. I don't know how many notes I"ll be buying right off, financial constraints for probably the rest of the year will slow me down, but I hope to keep plugging away.

Well, enough for now. My photo this entry is a coin I came across as I've been sorting through everything, trying to sort out a bunch to sell. Anyway, the coin is a Peru 20 Soles commemorating a naval battle centennial.

See more journals by Bammer