• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1870S 25C

21 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right forum, or if the Coin Tangents forum is more appropriate...

Front page on the latest issue of CW is definitive proof that the SF Mint ordered ONE 25c piece for the building cornerstone.

Interesting, but I can't help wonder how do we know that it is an 1870S quarter dollar? Also included in the record is a citation for a silver dollar for the cornerstone, yet we also have conflicting records indicating that the SF Mint was never delivered any 1870-dated obverse silver dollar dies.

EVP

I don't get CW, but if I can get my hands on an issue I will read the article and comment on it with a little more knowledge. smile.gif

EVP - I'm in California right now and because of your post, I'm going to visit the old granite behemoth and tear out the cornerstone with my bare hands. I will give you the dollar if the proof $3 is there! smile.gif

This is great research (something that beguiles TomB wink.gif). But tell me why it has surfaced now (I don't have the article to benefit from).

Hoot

Interesting, but I can't help wonder how do we know that it is an 1870S quarter dollar?

Sorry, but you're going to have to wait for the next quake.

Either that or YOU try to break it out. You seem to be good at that.... laugh.gif

jom

But tell me why it has surfaced now

Hoot,

If you mean the coin, well, it hasn't. If you mean the official record indicating that there was a request for a 25c piece for the cornerstone, well, I don't know... I guess record keeping then until now for all these years was less than satisfactory?!?

BTW, I'm still looking for incontrovertible proof that all request coins were actually delivered *and* that all coins were actually dated 1870 with the S mintmark.

EVP

Well, the only incontrovertible proof would be to see the coins! Even if records stated that some fantasy pieces were minted for the occasion, given the Mint's history, that would only be partly convincing evidence. Since they are going to restore the building, I think that they should go to the added expense of checking out the corner stone. After all, the coins do no one any good buried there, and would make for some fantastic (if not squashed) pieces for display in the building. cool.gif

Hoot

Hoot,

I will accept "hardly controvertible" evidence, up to and including official documentation indicating that cornerstone specimens must be dated 1870 and with the S mintmark, and that the appropriate sum (for the face value of the coins) was disbursed.

EVP

Hoot,

I will accept "hardly controvertible" evidence, up to and including official documentation indicating that cornerstone specimens must be dated 1870 and with the S mintmark, and that the appropriate sum (for the face value of the coins) was disbursed.

EVP

What a wimp! makepoint.gif Tear down Gertie If you ask me! I want the coins damnit! sumo.gif Cornerstone, schmornerstone. tonofbricks.gif

Hoot

You don't count JJ! Since you post such great material in the darkside forum, you deserve a break today! flowerred.gif

Hoot

You don't count JJ! Since you post such great material in the darkside forum, you deserve a break today! flowerred.gif

Hoot

Thanks! grin.gif

To tell the truth, I already knew the "secret" that was posted - no harm no foul!

-JamminJ

EVP - finally got the CW today. I had the same thought, how do we know that it isn't an 1869-S quarter? I think the point is that the most likely explanation for the known facts is that there was an 1870-S quarter in the cornerstone. It's not incontrovertible, just the best theory.

I suspect that these two researchers WILL eventually find out what the deal with the cornerstone is and then we'll all know for sure.

I guess it's worth pointing out that the Nevada state capital cornerstone contains an Unc 1870-CC quarter, half, and dollar. It was excavated about 25 years ago and then set back in place. I suspect they'll do the same deal in SF once they find the darn thing.

somebody already has the coin 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and this is the set up before the announcement 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

maybe?? maybe not?? only time will tell

in other words to make a superb delicious desirable onion ring

you need two things

the onion-this coin

the hot oil- the report

put them both together and you got a really tasty item

the sum is greater than the parts

michael