• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New member needs help with series number

4 posts in this topic

As per PCGS:

What is the importance of the PCGS coin number?

Our coin numbering system is designed to speed up the receiving and processing of submissions. Coin numbers are also a central part of our reporting systems: the PCGS Population Report and the PCGS Set Registry.

I also think the Series number has something to do with PCGS's numbering system also. 32 may mean it's a roosevelt and the PR would be for a proof.

Added: Here is a ATS Post that our own Conder101 posted about 8 yrs ago showing different slabs and some of thier meanings.

Hi

Could someone please explain to me

why this coin I just bought has a series number and a coin number

Thanks

Alan

1976S.jpg

SERIES number identifying the actual specific COIN 95255

actual grade number 69

serial number for this particular coin and slab 72429246 telling only pcgs in house when this coin was graded and put into this slab

SERIES 32pr and COIN 24 was a different way of saying 95255 and was redundent and confusing hence a few years ago pcgs did away with series; and coin number;

for just the series aND COIN NUMBER 95255

why say something twice in 2 different ways when only once and simple is the way to go?? and incorporates everything in the long number at the bottom

series and con number 95255 grade 69 then / specific serial number to this specific coin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh and welcome to the boards (thumbs u