• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bust half help?

5 posts in this topic

The 1830 looks like a small 0, O-102, though it might also be an O-118. The 1831 could be an O-106 or O-107, but I must admit I had a few too many during the Bucknell - Lafayette game, GO BISON!!!!

cheers.gif

The 1830 looks like a small 0, O-102, though it might also be an O-118.

from coinzip.com:

"O-102:

(1) The top of the E in UNITED is lower than the T. - yup

(2) A small sharp spike protrudes from the feather just below the juncture of the right wing and the body." - i dunno?

"O-118:

Line 3 of stripe 1 is solid to second crossbar. - ?

Line 2 of strip 5 penetrates the border of the shield at the bottom and almost entirely through the feathers. - ? sorta maybe ?"

The 1831 could be an O-106 or O-107

O-106:

"Obverse: Star 1 points to lower edge of dentil. “LIBERTY” in the headband appears doubled. Only O-107 shares this obverse. This could be a double die obverse, or it could simply be doubling like double profile. Dr. Glenn Peterson wrote “LIBERTY” is recut. First “1” is high with well-formed serifs."- i see NO doubling

O-107:

"On the obverse ALL of the letters of LIBERTY have been recut. This recutting shows just inside the left edge of EACH letter" - no doubling

(shrug)

silver.gif

Ok, on the 31, I am pretty sure it's an O-102 based on stripe 1 in the shield ("Line 2 of stripe 1 heavy and bent"). For the 1830, it might be an O-104, but I don't think it is. It looks most like the O-117, but that should have the first line of stripe 1 and the third line of stripe 5 going to the 4th crossbar, I can see from the photos that they extend, but I can't see how far.

jtryka got it right. The 1830 is O.117, the 1831 is O.102.

Next time time try to shoot the coins straight so they are round, not oblong. And it would help if the date is the lowest point on the obverse (Liberty faces up a bit) and the reverse crossbars are horizontal. This makes perusing the varieties easier.

Lance.