• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question Re (Non)-Toning of Coins Based on Their Environment

8 posts in this topic

Sorry for the obscure title, but I have a question.

What is the likelihood today of a silver U.S. Coin from the early days (i.e. from 1792 to 1807) being white and unadulterated (e.g. no dipping), and what would have be required to achieve this?

Similar question for Red Coppers.

An early silver (1792-1807) US coin that is completely white would have odds that are extraordinarily high that the coin had been boinked at least once in the past. However, I guess if a coin were placed in glass at or somewhat after the time of issue that it might survive in an untoned state. Similarly, there might be a few other oddball storage ways to assure a white coin from this era without boinking, but again these would be rare instances.

What is the likelihood today of a silver U.S. Coin from the early days (i.e. from 1792 to 1807) being white and unadulterated (e.g. no dipping), and what would have be required to achieve this?

If a coin was coated with residues and gunk in the early years of its existence, it very well might be preserved for hundreds of years without much actual oxidation. Conservation techniques can remove the residues and reveal the underlying coin, without the use of acid dip or other damaging methods. Thus, an old coin can be brilliant; it's just a question of, "Are you looking at the actual coin metal, or a layer of filth?" Toning and residue are often hard to tell apart.

I do not own any early US coins but I do have Spanish silver from the 1720's in MS that is not toned, three of them. Normally, coins this old would not look like this and these might (or even likely) have been dipped but I have seen a small number of others that look similar.

Simple: zero chance. Take that to the bank. If you see a blast-white silver coin from that era, I submit to you that there's a 100% chance the coin's been doctored. Heck, even if the coin is "somewhat" white, then it's been doctored, period.

Different answer here, because as a matter of fact, there are known European coppers of the 1600s and 1700s that were indeed placed into vacuum storage, and when finally opened up in the last couple of decades, they were found to be exactly as red as the day they were minted.

Different answer here, because as a matter of fact, there are known European coppers of the 1600s and 1700s that were indeed placed into vacuum storage, and when finally opened up in the last couple of decades, they were found to be exactly as red as the day they were minted.

What kind of vacuum storage was available in the 1600's?