• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How am I Wearing? Added a Question (take a guess)

5 posts in this topic

Got this quarter in change today, although 44 years of age, no one can say for sure

if it has been in circulation since released by the Federal Reserve. I would say about

average wear for this classic clad. You just don't see '67 quarters everyday.

IMG_NEW.jpg

IMG_0001_NEW.jpg

It looks fairly banged up. I have a number of 1965-67 quarters in my change jar as reminders of the "good old days." You won't find any silver quarters in change, but every once in a while I find old Jefferson nickels and wheat cents.

Got this quarter in change today, although 44 years of age, no one can say for sure

if it has been in circulation since released by the Federal Reserve. I would say about

average wear for this classic clad. You just don't see '67 quarters everyday.

IMG_NEW.jpg

IMG_0001_NEW.jpg

Surprisingly enough, I'm finding more and more quarters from 65 -69 in my change lately.

1965- 1,819,717,540

1966- 821,101,500

1967- 1,524,031,848

That's Billion, with a B

During the coin shortage beginning in the 60's it became apparent to our Gov't something had to be done, hence the huge task of minting billions of pieces of clad coinage. The Mint even brought in retired presses to accomplish this goal.

For decades later, the majority of change in your pocked contained at least one of these three years. In 1968, the mint went back to producing a couple of hundred million, the shortfall of coins was averted.

T'was a sad day when silver was removed from the quarter and dime and reduced in the half dollar, but Eva Adams our Mint Director was right, it stopped the indiscriminate flow of precious metals out of this country.