• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1839-O Half

13 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone for your opinions... much appreciated!

I've coveted this issue for a long time. By sheer chance I came across it with 40 minutes to go in an auction.

My research consisted of quickly scanning current and and old Heritage auctions and comparing it to previously slabbed pieces ranging from VF-30 to AU-55.

Nothwithstanding the coin surfaces, my own subjective evaluation indicated a minimum grade of XF-40 on the obverse (possibly an XF-45), and a minimum XF-45 on the reverse (possibly an AU-50).

I'm not sure if I'll send her in to be graded. This is the kind of coin which just might feel better in my hands! With the branch mints just coming online the late 1830s was a very interesting period indeed!

I checked out the sellers pictures on EBAY – I think it would grade Au 50 at best . My concern is the coin seems to have some minor rim damage.

I'm not sure if these photos are much better, but this is what I captured with the coin in hand:

1839_O_OBV_5.JPG

1839_O_REV_5.jpg

It looks like it possibly might have been cleaned long ago, but I'm not sure...

Any additional comments?

It looks like it possibly might have been cleaned long ago, but I'm not sure...

Any additional comments?

I think that the coin has been cleaned too. I would expect a XF details grade from NGC or a genuine designation from PCGS.

Upon close inspection through higher resolution photos it appears that there may have been some environmental damage at some point on the reverse.

The damage appears to have been mostly cleaned-up, but some vestiges of it remain along with some of the "work" that was done.

If the above is true (environmental damage cleaned-up), what impact would this have on the coin capturing a grade from a TPG?

Additionally, what monetary impact would the above have on the market for such a coin?

If anyone would like to take a look at the high resolution images and offer an opinion, please PM me with your e-mail address.

I absolutely love the "meat" on this coin, but I am starting to worry about some of the other aspects of it.

Thanks!