• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Pinches Medallists: History of Great Britain and the Sea

4 posts in this topic

I recently bought this hardbound set from an antique dealer, thinking that the one-ounce sterling silver medals contained within were at least worth the bullion value of the silver. When I began to look at it, I realized that it may be better than that. Unfortunately, I am a comic book collector and not a coin collector, so I'm hoping this it the right place to post this. The set is Volume 1, published in 1974, and has slots for 25 coins. My copy has the first 19 of these, and each coin (or medallion) is encased in a plastic disc. The rim of the coins each have British hallmarks indicating that they are .925 sterling. In addition, the rims have a P in a circle (which I assume is for "Pinches", the medallists) and the number 0945. The obverse features images of various historical figures: Francis Drake, Walter Raleigh, etc, along with some coats of arms and pictures of warships. One figure is depicted on each medal, and the reverse gives a brief description of events and dates. The sculptor's name, "Nathan" is on the obverse of many of them. Can anyone tell me what I have? I hope these are worth more than "bullion" value, since they are in great condition. The images on the obverse and reverseappear to be "cameo" on a mirror-like background. I've tried to describe these as well as I can, but I'll try to link this post to a couple of .jpegs on my website so the coin collectors can tell me what these things are. Thanks for your help.

John Pinches Great Britain and the Sea sterling silver hallmarked medals 1974

I would think so, too, but the set seems to be so well produced that I just HAD to get it. I really wish I knew more about John Pinches Medallists, etc. I also wonder whether Lord Mountbatten had anything to do with the set, or whether he just lent his name. He was very much a British Naval hero, in addition to having been the one who encouraged the courtship of Prince Philip and Princess Elizabeth in the very early 1950's. I do know that he was assassinated by IRA fanatics, I believe in the late 1970's.

You might even get more money for the set if you were to sell it to a British naval history fanatic.

I like a number of US historic medals because of their great designs. I also like the fact that they're relatively cheap. Medal collectors know they don't sell for much, so they expect them to be cheap. Military history buffs may like the coins for the designs themselves and would appreciate them more than would medal collectors.