• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arrest Toning

8 posts in this topic

I have bought a few toned coins recently, and I am curious what can be done to arrest the toning (and to keep the coins from darkening over time). I've obviously taken great strides to protect them, keeping them out of the elements; however, what more can be done? Given that slabs aren't airtight, what advice would you offer? Has anyone tried the intercept shield products over an extended period of time?

Thanks.

With exception to conditions that TPG's have no control over such as a lousy rinse after a dip the slabs are airtight enough that we will never see any changes of color in our lifetime.Nice original skinned coins will be fine in the slab. TPG's guarantee the coin so I recommend them as the best source for arresting toning.

I hope this helps

Jon

With exception to conditions that TPG's have no control over such as a lousy rinse after a dip the slabs are airtight enough that we will never see any changes of color in our lifetime.Nice original skinned coins will be fine in the slab. TPG's guarantee the coin so I recommend them as the best source for arresting toning.

I hope this helps

Jon

Even if they weren't dipped prior to encapsulation, a great many coins have toned or continued to tone, in TPG holders. And, in some cases, it didn't take long, at all, due to unfavorable storage conditions.

Also, while the best TPG's offer grading guarantees, that doesn't mean they will necessarily buy a coin back, just because it toned in the holder.

JMO, but silver tones, or tarnishes. It's a fact of life. Silverware is cleaned to remove the tarnish. Some people dip silver coins to remove the tarnish, and in some cases use a soft bristled brush to get the tarnish out of the recesses.

Coins that are slabbed will still tone as there is nothing 100% to prevent or slow down the natural toning process.

I for one like toned 90% & 40& coins as I think the toning adds some character to the coin.

Where are you storing your coins ??

Safe, safety deposit box, shoe box, wooden shelf, cigar box - that's kinda important as well.

There is no way to stop toning 100%. To minimize the rate of oxidation, coins must be stored in a cool, dry environment, with no direct sunlight. It's a good idea to store them with silica gel canisters to absorb incoming moisture. Attempts should also be made to limit the airflow into the coin holder and/or container. A product that absorbs harmful chemicals from the surrounding environment, such as Intercept Shield, should also be used. Failure to do any one of these things could result in faster toning.

There is no way to stop toning 100%.

I agree. Unless the prospect of chemical change is nipped in the bud, you're too late.

Realistically, I doubt that you will be able to notice, or even measure the change over the coming decades, but once a chemical reaction has taken place, it will continue until the inevitable happens.

Does it all really matter? Well, if you take proper care of the coin, keep it away from moisture and heat and sunlight, then as mentioned, the coin will not change to your perception in your lifetime. Now, come back in 10,000 years, and it very well may have darkened a shade or two, and in 100,000 years, who knows? Maybe it will be black.

The best possible protection is probably an airtight bag which has been evacuated and sealed, and subsequently always kept in a controlled environment. Slabs are definitely not "the ultimate" protection for coins, but they are more than ample for the normal collector, which means 99.999 % of us.

(Flips work work for the rest lol .)