• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971 Ike Dollar with 1972 Type 2 globe *missing islands*

5 posts in this topic

I inherited some coins from my dad who passed away recently and found a 1971 Ike Dollar in them that doesn't have the islands around Florida's coast. The coin looks new and is in a plastic holder atm. I haven't cleaned or touched the coin with my hands, but did take a picture of it as best I could with the digital camera that I have. I have ordered a microscope that I can hook to my computer and will post pics of what that reveals when I get it sometime this weekend. For now, here is a the pic that I took with the digital camera.

bestcoinpic.jpg

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Looks like you have a 40% silver proof Ike dollar, also known as a "Brown Ike" because of the color of the box it was packaged in. With silver as high as it is, value based on bullion value, which is currently over $10. Don't remove it from the holder or clean it. As far as I know, all the proof dies for 71-S had the same reverse, so there's not really a different variety in play here. Once upon a time, there was a website devoted to Ike varieties and/or an Ike collectors' club that illustrated the different Ike reverses, which I think come into play mostly on 1972 business strikes. I don't remember the name of the club or website, and can't find it after a couple quick Google attempts.

Without clear photos, it's hard to say.

When you get your microscope hooked up take images of both sides and post them.

Welcome to the forum.

The 1972 Type 2 Reverse Business Strike Ike $1 die was created using a Proof design hub. All Ike proofs have the msising islands, and your 1971 appears to be a Proof.