• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can you help me identify this coin?

2 posts in this topic

France, 5- or 10-centimes of Napoleon III. Can't see the date in that picture. Should be 1850-1860s.

The 5-centimes should be a little bigger than a quarter. The 10-centimes are more like half dollar size or slightly larger. I can't determine the scale from your picture, or see the reverse, where it would say (in French).

Regardless, unless it is a very rare date, it's only worth a few cents as-is. (Even if it IS a rare date, it is not going to be worth much like that- not monetarily, anyway.)

I regularly sell well-worn but unholed examples from the 1850s and 1860s in the neighborhood of 50c to $1 each. Even in Uncirculated condition, the prices on these are modest- I bought some slabbed MS63 RB coins in pedigreed PCGS holders for something like $30-35, but granted, that's been several years ago, and they were fairly common dates.

The French cranked out a lot of these coppers. They're common, but cool looking. I like the eagle on the reverse of them.

Worth very little monetarily, but it's still a cool old coin. Use it for a keychain piece or make some kid a necklace out of it.