• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snow day...

4 posts in this topic

Two beautiful satins came today!

This will be a short but sweet journal. I wasn't sure if the mail was ever going to come today, but the postman finally showed up at 5:45pm. I got two new MS69 satin finish beauties for my 21st Century Type Set. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

The obverse pics are below. The larger pictures and the reverses are posted in my 21st Century Type Set.

Cheers!

8442.jpg

See more journals by brg5658

Hi Thane, that's a really good question! I noticed that too. It appears to be "gunk" in the PCGS holder. I'm not sure what PCGS uses to hold coins in place(?), but I would almost swear that this is some sort of clear adhesive. Maybe similar to the clear adhesive that some magazines use that you can ball up in your fingers and it doesn't really "stick" per se?

Can someone offer insight as to whether PCGS uses some sort of adhesive to hold coins in position in their holders? My 2009D SMS MS69FT dime exhibits similar "gunk" around the reverse rim. On the few coins I have seen this on, it is almost always only on the reverse.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/CoinDetail.aspx?PeopleCoinID=724434&PeopleSetID=120972

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/CoinDetail.aspx?PeopleCoinID=723269&PeopleSetID=120972

Can someone offer insight as to whether PCGS uses some sort of adhesive to hold coins in position in their holders?

They don't.....it could just be gunk for the ring that holds the coin in.

But the coin is only held in by pressure.