• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do You Put A Price On A Coin

25 posts in this topic

For me, I look at price guides first. Auction Archives, NGC and even PCGS price guides, though I abhore PCGS politics. I then evaluate the coin based on available images. If I feel it's worthy of adding to my set I make my max bid. If I have a doubt, I ask a trusted confidant to view the coin in person for me and make my decision based on that review. A small price to pay.

What about coins on eBay though? It's a shoot in my opinion. I look at the images and who is selling the piece. For the most part, just have to go with my gut and ensure a return policy is in place.

I search for coins that are nice for the grade and just below the big price jumps. I think I've been able to do pretty well so far with this philosophy. I have to admit that I've paid up for the right coin in some cases. I have no problem with that because I'm not selling in the near future.

What are your thoughts? How do you make the decision to add the right coin to your set/s?

The reason I bring this up is due to the fact that a nice coin ends tonights on eBay that is already above price guide values but worthy of a higher bid in my mind, as well as others it looks like. I put a snipe on the coin and will let you know the results tommorrow. :)

leeg - beyond consulting the resources you mentioned, I find it is always a balance between how badly I want the coin and how much I'm willing to pay. If the coin doesn't overwhelm me, then I usually save my money to await one that does.

Not the most scientific of decision making, but I'm usually happier that way with what I've bought. This all assumes I've been able to see the coin in hand before laying down my money.

If it is a coin that I want I usually look at all the price guides and auction archives and decide what I am willing to pay and don't go above that amount. If it is a coin I feel that I just have to have then all price helps usually go out the window. doh!

Better to ask the question after the auction is finished.

Your statements provides me with enough information to make a reasonable guess as to the item(s) of interest, and if I am correct about the coin, I do believe it is seriously overpriced for the grade.

I just bought a rare coin where I had to pay 30% over price guide - which was a huge premium in this case. How did I justify it? Well, the coin had been off the market for 15 years and the price guide was pure conjecture [although pretty accurate IMO]. In the end, it was what it took to buy the coin that was the value ... no ifs ands or buts.

And in a few months, the price paid will be the price guide value.

For common coins I use the Heritage archives or NGC and PCGS price guides. For rare coins I need for my sets I will pay whatever it takes, assuming it is in any way affordable. I have quite a few reasonably rare World coins and often have to pay 5x the price guide, simply because none may have sold for 5-10 years at auction so you don't know what they are worth until the auction is over.

Ok TDN..... when do we get to see the pics of this wonder coin!!

And I'll say.... that a coin that shows up once in 15 years... you're lucky you only had to pay 30% over price guide. As stated before, these are the exceptions to the rule.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts on this. (thumbs u

I won the coin and here it is:

1958DRoosieObv.jpg

1958DRoosieRev.jpg

1958DRoosieSlabObv.jpg

Cost me $180 and guide is $45. Some will say I overpaid but I feel it's a great fit with the rest of the coins in my collection.

I was the direct underbidder on that coin. I would have been willing to go much higher, but I just couldn't afford it right now with my down payment coming soon. Its probably best that I didn't win it, even though I really wanted that coin. In my mind, you paid a fair price. Price guide is $45, which really means you only paid 4x book for it - and that is one of the most excellently toned Roosies I've seen. Seems like you got a good deal on it.

As for putting a value on it, the only way you can really do that is put it up for auction. What people are willing to pay is the value. Toned coins are each unique.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts on this. (thumbs u

I won the coin and here it is:

1958DRoosieObv.jpg

1958DRoosieRev.jpg

1958DRoosieSlabObv.jpg

Cost me $180 and guide is $45. Some will say I overpaid but I feel it's a great fit with the rest of the coins in my collection.

Well, it obviously was worth $180 to you for your collection.

Thanks guy's! Not my max bid so I feel good about that. I thought it was a nice match for this quarter in my set:

1958DWashingtonObvC.jpg

Better to ask the question after the auction is finished.

Your statements provides me with enough information to make a reasonable guess as to the item(s) of interest, and if I am correct about the coin, I do believe it is seriously overpriced for the grade.

So, did you guess correctly on the coin he was going to bid on?

Lee, congratulations on a great looking pickup.

That is LITERALLY THE nicest, most colorfully toned Roosie that I have EVER seen!! If I was a Roosie guru/fanatic; I would have done that deal WITHOUT ANY hesitation.

Look at what happened with me, I just picked up a Walker for 75% ABOVE sheet but on coins such as these it is well worth it!! GREAT PICKUP!! :thumbsup:

And I'll say.... that a coin that shows up once in 15 years... you're lucky you only had to pay 30% over price guide. As stated before, these are the exceptions to the rule.

Maybe in a month or so.

Maybe in a month or so.
Looking forward to it as always.

Why only a MS 66 on that coin.. I don't see any major problems.. Was it a Subjective grade? Any opinions?

Nice pickup Lee, I would have paid that money for that coin if I was in the market for one. It is a one-of-a-kind specimen for that issue. I have seen some colorful 1958 coins of dimes through halfs, and that one is a beauty!