• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Values on Error Coins

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Rise and shine!

I have a question that alot of people would like to know the answer to.

There many error coins on Ebay, in books( The CherryPicker's guide to error coins ) and the " The Official Guide to Mint Errors" to name a few. My question is how does the average collector put a value on error coins that aren't in any of the sources I listed above? My theory is to take the value of the coin from NGC, The Red Book, The Blue Book, the internet auction websites etc.....

Then add a ballpark figure (or premium) depending on how big the error is, for instance : I have a Kennedy half 1968d that has several letters that are "doubled" . It's not listed anywhere for that error. There are Errors on that year but not on the common Kennedy Half. I think there is a Proof error and a Obverse error but not "Doubling " on the reverse like mine.

Is there an expert that can help me and other's with this dilemma ?

Thanks

100_0772.jpg[/img] ]

Your 68-D looks like strike doubling to me........flat and shelf-like.

It's pretty hard to put a value on many of the errors and varieties. The Cherrypickers Guide and Herbert's Guide to Mint Errors are rather old, so you have to take those estimates with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, errors and varieties listed on Fred Weinberg's site are priced rather high, but if you asked for the value of a particular coin, you would likely get a very low estimate. For example, the 2001-D Kennedy missing the clad layer on my sig line was shown to him at FUN 2006, and he said it was worth $125. There are only two of these known to exist, and the other one sold raw on eBay in 2005 for $555.

Suffice it to say that a coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Chris

Your Kennedy displays strike doubling, which is incredibly common, not worth a premium, and on higher graded coins will actually lower the grade and value. Your Kennedy is worth the $4.93 that the silver in it is worth, and that's about it.

Much of the value for error coins is based on their scarcity, desirability, and "cool" factor. A double struck, off center flipover double struck Kennedy is super cool and very scarce, so will be worth much. A misaligned die is incredibly common. Much of this knowledge is based on experience, but Herberts book is a good place to start. Values are difficult to come by.

I'm in total agreement with the previous two answers. Strike or Machine Doubling, and for the reasons stated by CPM. Keep your eyes open though, you never know!