• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Eagles........

12 posts in this topic

You can usually find raw, common date $20 St. Gaudens for close to spot. So, it's going to depend on whether you like to have new gold in your hands or classic gold.

And, welcome to the boards.

If it's just bullion that you want, then get the modern $50 coins or Maples. But if you want a little history as well go for the Double Eagles.

Welcome to the boards!!!

Welcome to the boards. I like to buy some of each. It's more entertaining for me to go through my collection or share it with others when the coins have different histories, designs, origins etc...

i would do the best of both worlds

slabbed pre 1933 gold that is closer to bullion not necessarly close to bullion but not like buying three dollar gold pieces

i would look for some nice think orange greenish gold skinned type 3 double eagle libs ms 63

and saints ms 63 64

also slabbed

I'd avoid "raw" gold in most cases unless it's a modern mint product.

jom

Excellent advice. Avoid raw gold unless you are an expert authenticator and can examine the coin in hand.

Avoid raw gold unless you are an expert authenticator and can examine the coin in hand.

I should have been more clear. See BOLD above.

I repeat this because it is important.

jom