• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Portland Post!

22 posts in this topic

Jeff's post on the ANA Portland show was simply an excellent summary of what was up there. He's right that there was a LOT of junk at the show, only a few items of excellence in the middle and affordable price ranges ($500-$5000 and <$500, respectively), then there were the rest: items >$5000, including some stunning coins to behold, but also a fair share of less than attractive material.

I concentrated on the cheap stuff, 'cause I'm cheap! smile.gif I wandered for two days perusing nickels and a few odds and ends. I made one significant purchase from Mark Feld: a 1935 MS67 buffalo... BTW, in the scan, the light marks on the jaw of the Indian are on the plastic - I'm having it reholdered.

438791-1935%20buffalo%205c%20MS67%20NGC.JPG

Mark was an excellent person to visit with and had placed the coin aside for me to view at the show. Very gentlemanly. Talked about coins, the boards and this and that.

I found a few nice Jefferson nickels and a few excellent buffs in the raw and in ANACS and old PCGS holders. Some great bargains could be found if you looked long and hard enough. I'm sure this was true for any series.

The BEP was there and raffling the privelidge to buy some signed and numbered intaglio prints of the buffalo $10 from two turns of the century ago. These were so excellent, that I entered the drawing and won! Paid 50 bucks for it, but thought it was quite worth it. It's an amazing print and limited to 100 pieces. Some dealers were, unfortunately, taking advantage of the fact that you could enter once per day, and a few people won a second piece. Not really fair and obviously for profit motives.

438793-2003%20ANA%20Portland%20Buffalo%20%2410%20BEP%20repro.jpg

Most dealers were quite friendly and informative. Got to speak with some excellent individuals and met jtryka for the first time. Excellent fellow. EVP and TDN were in rare form. EVP was (is) dying from a coughing disorder. TDN had an injured foot that he should simply have amputated. I already mentioned (another post) that I spoke with Dave Lange, Danielle and Sarah from NGC. They are sure nice folks for being so hassled! laugh.gif

Viewed the 1794 "first strike" dollar and the 1866 nomotto dollar (DuPont). Superb. I began to listen to DH's video on the 1794 dollar, then thought I'd read about it instead. grin.gif

I think I also mentioned that I spent a couple of hours with Beth Deisher of Coin World. She is a lovely person and full of interest of many topics. Great sense of humor as well. She was looking for well-circulated Franklin halves and was having trouble finding them in F or lesser condition. I found her a solid G6 and an F12! Great searching for those.

Almost too much to tell, but I won't drone. laugh.gif

Hoot

Geez... and I sold two $20 rolls of various date Franklins for scrap there on Saturday. foreheadslap.gifwink.gif

That's a beautiful buff, Hoot!

Thanks guys! I've been looking at this scan, realizing how much better the coin looks in person. The strike shows up magnificently when in-hand, and the minor spots near the bison's back legs are virtually not seen by the naked eye. confused-smiley-013.gif Scans and photos - my bane. 893frustrated.gif

Hoot

It sounds great. I guess that Lewis and Clark stuff is getting hot now that we have a new nickel reverse. I'm planning on buying a year's worth of Lewis and Clark stamps when they come out.

EVP - I think that your lungs and TDN's foot should be donated to science. 893whatthe.gif TDN should also be studied for his ability to endure abuse. We should all be kinder to the fellow - he's not as bad as his limp.

For the rest of you, EVP had to be resuscitated while at dinner with me and jtryka. He really wanted crabs, so we took him to a place where he could contract, er, get some, then he nearly died while eating. He refused to take a shot of tequila to quell his cough and the waitress offered to call 911 just to have the body removed. I'd have felt bad for him, but that required too much energy. Jeff and I ate his food for him instead.

Hoot

Oh! the Lewis and Clark stuff! I ran into a fellow who had bought some rolls of the new nickels for his kids. He said it was the biggest waste of money at the show. I agreed. insane.gif

I just got $20 of the new nickels at the bank today in blue paper wrappers from the Fed. No premium! shocked.gifsmile.gif

Hoot

I just got $20 of the new nickels at the bank today in blue paper wrappers from the Fed. No premium!

Ok, now how is it that you can find them in the middle of Montana, and I can't find them yet in Seattle???

I just got $20 of the new nickels at the bank today in blue paper wrappers from the Fed. No premium!

Ok, now how is it that you can find them in the middle of Montana, and I can't find them yet in Seattle???

Well it aint because he lives right gossip.gif27_laughing.gif

Nice Buff ya got there Hoot wink.gif

Well it aint because he lives right gossip.gif27_laughing.gif

Nice Buff ya got there Hoot wink.gif

What I have to take for livin' well! insane.gif

Mark,

I managed to miss you there. I wandered the show in search of Nickels too. Did attend Bill Fivaz's Jefferson Nickel Numismatic Theatre, very informative for me.

I am sure I will run into you again "in town".

Hoot,

Glad to hear that you had a good time at Portland. Nice ’35 buff you picked up!

I saw that coin on pinnacle’s web site and it was tempting me for weeks, but I just did not want to spend the money to upgrade the one I already have. Glad you got it as it somehow makes me feel a little better knowing that someone I know bought it. thumbsup2.gif

BTW, that Lewis & Clark intaglio print looks real cool!

John

He really wanted crabs

It *just* occurred to me... Jeff, are there any really good and authentic Chinese seafood restaurants in Portland? If so, we should've gone there for Dungenous crab!!!

Oh, well... I guess I'll have to go to NYC and eat 'em w/o you guys!

EVP

He really wanted crabs

It *just* occurred to me... Jeff, are there any really good and authentic Chinese seafood restaurants in Portland? If so, we should've gone there for Dungenous crab!!!

Oh, well... I guess I'll have to go to NYC and eat 'em w/o you guys!

EVP

Woulda shoulda coulda! Actually there were about 3 or 4 places in a one block radius in Chinatown which we passed by on the way to Jakes, and one of them is really good! foreheadslap.gif