• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to detect cleaning

3 posts in this topic

Most commonly improperly cleaned coins are damaged by cleaning with a mechanical method. The result are parallel hairlines across the surface of the coin that are unlike what would happen during the circulation of a coin.

The best way to see these hairline scratches is to look at the coin at the edge of a single light source. If you tilt the coin back and forth the areas of parallel scratches will reflect light in flashes that a coin that does not have these kinds of scratches will.

My Collectors' Edge column in the May 2010 issue of The Numismatist goes into greater detail how to determine this most common mechanical type of improper cleaning.

Chris NCS

Hi Chris, Thanks for the information it will come in handy as i look at my coin i well be able to detect if a coin has been clean, can you give me more information about the numismatist, i like to receive this paper/book, i do not the 2011 issue. thanks Chris and have a good night. don