• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should NGC change submission form as to include NCS option?

7 posts in this topic

I have a question I would like to ask the rest of the collectors and members on this board and first I'd like to explain the reason before I ask the question. It seems to me it would be beneficial both in time and money if NGC would add an option on there form that if NGC feels a coin should be conserved you have the option box to have NGC send it to NCS instead of adding the stickers and sending it back slabbed. I'm not asking about the NO Grade coins just the ones they slab and send back with the sticker. To me if they give me an option I would save both time and the extra cost of having it reslabbed and postage cost alone would be saved. If you as a collector don't want any coins conserved to not choose the option box. So now here's the poll question. Should NGC add to its submission form an option box to have coins sent to NCS they feel should be conserved? I know that on some coins it obvious they need conservation but I'm talking about the ones that are not obvious.Thanks

PapaG

This is a real reasonable suggestion. It has been made more than once and I hope that this thread adds to the possibility of it happening.

Thanks PG!

Hoot

I completely agree! I want to send 2 coins to NCS and then on to NGC, so in this case I wish I had a form to check off both options as well. How's this for an option. I'd like to send some coins I intend to keep permanetly to NCS to be brought back to as much full original luster as possible. Then on to NGC for grading. All NGC would have to do is tell me what they would assign as a grade. Even if it's verbal. Then back to NCS to be encapsuled. Jerry

I have seen this come up as well. Someone gets the coins back slabbed by NGC with an insert saying such and such coin is a candidate for NCS. There can be some time saved if such an option on the submission form exists.

First, they should offer the option per coin on the form so for example, if you are sending in 5 coins and you know 2 of the 5 needs to go to NCS, you would just indicate it next to those 2 specific coins.

But, if you are unsure, they should have a spot on that top of the form that states something like: "Review all coins for NCS Conservation". If you would choose this option and if they feel any of these 5 coins can benefit from conservation, they would contact you and let you know. After that, it would be up to you to say yes or no.

Unfortunately though, it's not as easy as that. There would be a few things that would need to change on NGC's side and ultimately it would be their decision to pursue this option.

Just my $0.02

Regards,

Chris

The reverse, however, does work. You may submit your coins to NCS for consideration for conservation, and then they will either conserve and/or encapsulate them, or send them to NGC for grading and encapsulation.

So, it's a matter of working in one direction but not the other.

While it sounds like it would be TOO complicated to have NGC decide that a coin could simply "benefit' from conservation, I think the notion of them sending coins that are "no grade" items to NCS would me pretty simple to implement, similar to the instructions you provide to NCS about whether you want the coins as "details graded" or "genuine" -- you tell NGC that any coins that are no-grade you'd like to go to NCS and which services you'd like performed. Considering they are in the same building, it sure would save a LOT of postage. For that MASSIVE postage savings TO and FROM, I'd sacrifice the $1 or $2 discount that you get from NCS for leaving a no-grade label from NGC!

Conservation aside, I'd like to see the bodybags for damaged/cleaned coins come back in NCS holders. The same graders view the coins either way, so why not? NGC needs to realize that every box we dont have to ship unnecessarily is another coin we can submit!