• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water marks on Ike dollar

2 posts in this topic

I purchased an MS66 Eisenhower dollar with what appears to be some sort of residue on the surfaces. It almost looks like some moisture got on the coin and then dried. I think it's incredibly unattractive and would like to be able to show off the otherwise mark-free fields. I know your standard answer is that you would have to see the coin in hand to make any kind of determination, but have you seen this type of blemish before, and would it benefit from being sent to NCS?

ike_obv.jpg

ike_rev.jpg

Thanks

There is a good chance we may be able to at least reduce the appearance of these spots. It is not outside the realm of possibility that these spots may be what we typically call "milk spots." Milk spots occur during the planchet stage of a coin's production and can not be safely removed from the surface. It is unusual to see milk spots on nickel coins but still possible.

This coin would qualify for the modern special rate if you wish to have the coin graded following conservation. $22.50 per coin includes both services for modern coins 1970 to date under $3000 in value.

Chris, NCS