• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1821 ICG AU58??

9 posts in this topic

All, I'm interested in purchasing this coin. It is in an ICG Slab and graded at AU58. The price the person is looking for seems to be a little low and so I'm concerned that I'm missing something. Thoughts on what it would grade and or what it is worth?

Thanks for the help! -Larry

I would give that dipped Bust Half a grade of Au 50 - Au 53

For a comparison I posted my Au 55 1821 Bust Half .

Mine looks closer to Au 58 then Au 55.

109627.jpg.bca7c0fc726bf4625f55b1e77ed6656f.jpg

Fortin, I would avoid that coin. It has been dipped, hence the blast white unnatural appearance. The dark black spot on the reverse is unsightly, and the coin grades probably AU-50 at max (net EF for the problems). The coin is a problem coin, and will always be a problem coin. It would need to be pretty strongly discounted off an EF price, but why buy an ugly coin when you can find a nice, original one with a bit more effort?

I dont want to judge a grade on that coin by those pics, but the blast white appearance bothers me, and every single mark on that coin will stick out like a sore thumb.